Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better - first mix
Hi there - here's my first attempt at this one.
I played it fairly straight, but tried to make it a bit ambient, and bring in some variation, as the song and arrangement are a bit one-paced - important to try and retain to laid-back feel, though. Quite a saccharine song, but I grew to like it as I worked on it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Cheers,
Laurie

Update: 2nd version takes into account the feedback about the vocal EQ and the guitar levels, plus a few other tweaks. Sounding better, I think.

.mp3    You Know Better - Laurie Harrison Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

.mp3    You Know Better - Laurie Harrison Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

Creative arrangement. Well done. Lead vocal needs serious de-essing. Lead guitars seem a bit buried. Buss compression timing is off which results in some breathing and pumping. Not horrible, but not great. Over all, nicely done with a great approach on the arrangement.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(06-01-2019, 08:28 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Creative arrangement. Well done. Lead vocal needs serious de-essing. Lead guitars seem a bit buried. Buss compression timing is off which results in some breathing and pumping. Not horrible, but not great. Over all, nicely done with a great approach on the arrangement.

Thanks for the feedback - very useful. Yes, listening again, the buss comp is definitely a bit overdone, and I agree about the guitar levels.
love the snare. sound thick and has a nice snap to it. The guitars and piano sound great. The vocal sounds like it is saturating or distorting at points. I liked the arrangement as welll.
Nice Mix, well balanced, and super-creative arrangement but lead vocal track seems too much bright I think
A solid mix lurking in there, but with a couple of provisos after a first listen:

The lead vocal sounds harsh in the >5KHz range. (Either a deesser or a mutliband compressor should tame that.) The balance doesn't feel quite right between the instruments, and I wonder if that's also related. Right now the vocal's a bit too dominating but, on the other hand, if you bring the rhythm guitar up that's also got a rather pointy aspect at the HF end. You probably don't need it that bright to carry the beat, which then it leaves more space for the vocal.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Thanks for the feedback everyone - really useful, and main lesson is that I've clearly overcooked the top end on the lead vocal (amongst other things...)