Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg 'You Know Better' - Patrons Mixing Contest
[UPDATE] CONTEST ENTRY is the 3rd version, below, named HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter-mix3-master.m4a

Hey, here is my version.
Didn't deviate too much from the original tracks.

Happy mixing to everyone.

.m4a    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter-mix1-master.m4a --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

Interesting ideas and well presented. Nice job.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi pmilani! Wow -- this is certainly a bold vision! Initially I have to say I was reeling a little, because it's a very different perspective, and not what I'd expect in terms of the contest brief and references. That said, the more I've listened to it, the more it's won me over with its own logic, and I have to say this could now be my favourite mix so far. The balancing is generally great, there's bags of character and detail in the sounds and effects, the snare is meaty, the kick and bass are tight and extended, there's good width, mono-compatibility, small-speaker translation, and sensible spectral balance... In short, it's a really cool mix, whether or not it's exactly the one Hannes might have been looking for! Smile

All that said, there were a few minor queries I had:
  • The editing clicks on the conga are coming through, and they don't really support even this more rootsy vision, so I'd probably try to smooth those over.
  • The solo guitar in the Intro/Reintro and Verse 3 feels like it has a bit too much 300Hz. It's dominating over the lead vocal (despite excellent vocal balancing throughout) and I think it'd take a step back into the balance if it had a bit less of that frequency. The Chorus 2 and Mid-section are the biggest culprits in this respect. That guitar sound was also the only part that I felt could maybe have a touch more delay or something to glue it in with the mix.
  • One small niggle with the vocal balancing: when he shifts to falsetto in the choruses that's messing with the translation a bit, and I reckon it'd sit more solidly with the rest of the part if those syllables were multed to a sub-channel with more 1-2kHz and less sub-200Hz.
  • Loved the long delay-reverb effect on the Verse 2 guitar, which makes a fantastic contrast between the Verse 1 and Verse 2 sounds, thereby addressing one of the multitrack's core arrangement challenges.
  • And, speaking of mix solutions to arrangement challenges, the envelope wah effect that appears in Verse 3 is a stroke of genius, because that not only creates a textural change for the onset of that verse (thereby improving the long-term mix dynamics), but it also (if, as I suspect, it's being applied to the piano part) converts the liability of a mechanical-sounding MIDI instrument into the asset of a cool new sound -- and a sound that's totally in keeping with the Reggae influences. That brought a big smile to my face!
  • All that good stuff aside, I do wonder whether the mix could still give a little more concession to the idea of a mainstream single, in terms of manipulating the listener's attention a little more assertively. The balancing is all great, but I reckon some additonal detailed fader rides could maybe draw our ears more readily towards all the lovely things going on in this texture.

Overall, though, this is first-class work. There's just something very musical about this mix, and it's a great example of taking the multitracks in an unexpected direction that's nonetheless compelling. Bravo sir!
@Mike wow thanks man! That's a great analysis and very valid feedback. I can relate to pretty much everything you observed.
Based on this input I felt inspired to open up the project again and have even more fun! I've done a review of my mix, I kinda started with noticing some things I wanted to address and first worked on that but I ended up retouching loads of little things.

.m4a    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter-mix2-master.m4a --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

There's some interesting stuff happening in this mix, but, I what couldn't quite get past was the vocal distortion and reverb hard panned echo on the right. It sort of sounded like being shouted at from a guardpost while escaping from prison .... or something :-) Perhaps dialed back a bit and centered might work better?
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Hey @jeffd42, thanks for listening! Did you mix this as well?
Funny thing, even before touching any fader I started from the get go with this idea that I had to make the vocal like that, and immediately I got hooked into hearing it this way. I could never like my mix if I changed vocals to a traditional approach. About the delay effect, after your comment I listened again but I don't find it unbalanced in a disturbing or distracting way. Actually it is really going on both sides, they just have different parameters: you can clearly hear it in the breakdown were I made the effect even more obvious.
Cheers
(19-01-2019, 12:46 AM)pmilani Wrote: @Mike wow thanks man! That's a great analysis and very valid feedback. I can relate to pretty much everything you observed.
Based on this input I felt inspired to open up the project again and have even more fun! I've done a review of my mix, I kinda started with noticing some things I wanted to address and first worked on that but I ended up retouching loads of little things.

The only thing which is bothering me with this is the attention the timbale and conga are drawing away from the essence of the song. They've become too prominent and draw focus away from the vocal and the primary rhythm to the detriment of the song and arrangement, I'm afraid. IMHO, the movement of these percussion instruments should be a counter-punctual undelayment to add movement to the stoic rhythm of the song and thereby add interest.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I kinda started to reason on your feeback @Mixinthecloud. I don't know if I interpreted it the right way, but sure enough I felt like I wanted to change some stuff.... sooo, another version is here. Realllly hope it's the last one Smile
Thanks.

.m4a    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter-mix3-master.m4a --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

(24-01-2019, 07:26 PM)pmilani Wrote: I kinda started to reason on your feeback @Mixinthecloud. I don't know if I interpreted it the right way, but sure enough I felt like I wanted to change some stuff.... sooo, another version is here. Realllly hope it's the last one Smile
Thanks.

Again, some great ideas and generally very well balanced. A couple of minor technical things which poked at me. There is a count off at the beginning of your mix which I think should be muted and there is some sibilance on the lead vocal. Besides that, an excellent mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Balance is good. Only comment would be on the long delays ... those certainly sit well with the vibe you have going, but you may want to pull them slightly ahead of the beat, as otherwise they make the song drag a little in places. Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42