Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Drag Me Down
Here's my go, I found this one pretty challenging but it's a neat song and was fun to mix! Any critiques welcome Smile

.mp3    AdamBuckley_DragMeDown_Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.62 MB)

AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
I am just going to make notes as the song plays:

- The whole mix is lop-sided, favouring the right side
- Piano seems a little high at the start
- Like what you did with the vocal at around the 1 minute mark.
- Everything sounds a bit loud*

* With this song, it is very easy to drift into the 'too loud' zone. With all the guitar parts it can become a bit unwieldy, which is the part I have been spending the most time on. Maybe there is compression causing this.

This doesn't pertain to you, just an observation:
One thing I have noticed here (and on other forums) people are very reluctant to give a brief of their mix - Settings, what fx they used (and their settings) etc. So it can make it hard to pinpoint where an actual problem might lay.

► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Thanks for the feedback!

I was wondering if it was lop-sided... I suspect I might have some hearing loss in my right ear from an incident a while back, and I mixed this on headphones - which would explain favoring the right side. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. (I guess I should get that checked by a doctor... Undecided) I'll have to pay closer attention to the left/right levels indicator instead of trusting my hearing.

Definitely understand the too loud issue, it probably is compression - I'll have to play around and see if I can clear up the instruments some and reduce the overall loudness.

Good idea on the brief of the mix, I'll post details next time.

AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
Just listened to it again.
The mix is okay, apart from the favouring of the right side.

Are you using compression on the master bus? It is pumping a fair bit. Not sure what plugins (if any) you are using on the master bus, the TDR Kotelnikov plugin might be worth checking out if you don't already have it.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60