Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Come around - Voelund
What a fine little song and for the first time or so I didnt fifle with the arrangement at all Big Grin
I used the drum samples as they were, ran the 2nd one through SSL talkback compressor, and it made it stick out and give a nice middle smack to the beat.
The voices were a bit tricky to sort out, I used a lot o verb and delay, thinkin Daniel Lenois and mood, emotion and minor chords ...
I actually liked the Ebow guitar, lo and hi cut it, ran it through bus distortion and gave it loooong verbs, added artificial overtones and voila, it fitted.
The acoustic isnt audible, but if I mute it the sng has a difrent feel in those parts, so it must do some good. It were recorded with some comp as I hear, and it makes it hard to do much with it.
Did I go overboard in the verb department or do you like the soundmovie created here :-)

OBS OBS: new version below, hopefully better

EDIT 2: Final version on page 2 - I hope Big Grin

.mp3    Come around 01 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.67 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
So I couldnt resist movin parts around, added some oh and ahs in the outro and killd one phrase in the lead vocal, made sense that way. Little tweaks of level, automation and eq - and I read Mikes(again)excellent description of how he handled the task of makin things sound better, and tried the "make snare have more body and tail" trick, usin gate and a lilttel eq.
Also dubbed the acoustic guitar and eq´d it quite a lot, compressin one o the tracks and leavin the other as it were. Now I can hear it and I like it - tell me what you think Big Grin

.mp3    Come around 02 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 5.7 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
my thoughts about your mixes:

Mix 1: I love that long reverb on the guitars! and the voices sound sooo natural (I have in mind this song which was the first one I mixed in my life and there were so many mistakes!!) you've also created a magical atmosphere in the song that I love!

mix 2: I can hear the accoustic guitar too and it sounds ok. I like this outro much better than the original one, so I think you've managed to give a personal touch to the song and that's great in my opinion! Smile
mixing since April 2013
Thank you m8 for your kind words, Im very glad I made a magical atmosphere and you like what I did to the song. - thank you Juan Big Grin
Fwiw the long verb you like is an old lxp 1 lexicon with a "small" taj mahal preset that I love when songs call for biiig verb
Fantastic work Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(23-09-2013, 08:52 AM)thedon Wrote: Fantastic work Big Grin !

Cheers Don - thank you Big Grin
all in all a nice track.

I kinda wish something more in the last chorus to pay off that big buildup. But sweet ambience. It sounds good etc but I find it to be boring :/ But i cant help you because I dont know how to make killer mixxes yet Big Grin

/also weird that the volume seems to drop just when the chorus starts slamming at for example 1:53 into track.

I see what you mean, that disappointin - oh just the same chorus, but I guess it reflects the lyric well. This song is all about mood and emotion, and remember there are no rules :-)
About the chorus bein weaker than verses - I must admit there are fine tunings left in masterin. Must be the limiter makin it darker. Good observation ! Thank you
haha there are no rules Wink Wink

Well I should really start listening at what the vocal is saying. I have no clue what its about even though I've heard this song 500 times.

The backingvocals are great in your mix. I didnt manage to work with them because i thought it was best to not use them. But you managed to make them fit in, which in my opinion most other guys here failed at doing.

//J