Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Adam Buckley (Ableton mix and master)
I think I have a pretty clear mix. My first time posting on this site. Excited to see a community like this.

I mastered to -10ish LUFFs, and I feel it is too loud.

I appreciate any feedback.

-AJ

*Did a second mix. #2 is most recent mix.

.mp3    Adam Buckley (Ableton mix and Master).mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

.mp3    Drag me down 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Welcome!

I'm curious as to what you are using to mix. On my side of the screen your mix is very cloudy on the low mids and mids. For example the kick sounds super clearn and punchy.. but then the vocal is supper foggy. Like you used a reverb with no brightness on it. The same goes for the snare and guitars.. sounds like you ran them through a reverb that has a highpass at 100hz and a lowpass at 800hz.. leaving everything very foggy.

Balances are actually good though.. If it weren't for the eq choices this would sound really good.

Hope this helps and that you upload a revision on it. You should listen to reference mixes from various artists. That will help you hear the actual comercial sound on your end of the gear.
Like the mix here are a few thoughts
The balance overall is good .I would like the snare a little more up front the kic has some nice click maybe a little more on the toms good tone on them overall personal taste.
Vocals feel thick low mids might be just a verb adjustment Just a thought, but try going back and high-passing a little more on some of the instruments piano, BG vocals, synth parts not a lot just to try and clear the low mid range up some. The bass could use some controlling (2.30 part) in the 80 range Tdr nova might be a good choice to tighten thing up some. Might be over compressing the overheads a touch.

NiceJob! Also Yes this is a great site so welcome!

Jerze
Your mix is pretty good.
But the overall sound is not! Did you EQ the master bus at all?
It seems to be a lot of low-mid in it. There seems to be a significant roll-off of the top end. If you did use EQ on the master bus what was the curve?

Also did you use compression on the master bus, I can hear what sounds to be like a compressor working pretty hard.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
I did a second mix. I used the waves SSL e channel on the tracks. I also put the vocal fx through a bus.
Your mix sounds squashed. Also, you shouldn't get too much caught up in loudness and slap a maximizer immediately on the mix. The trap is that louder is almost always better, but not when it comes to mixing.
(31-12-2018, 06:17 AM)Shul Wrote: Welcome!

I'm curious as to what you are using to mix. On my side of the screen your mix is very cloudy on the low mids and mids. For example the kick sounds super clearn and punchy.. but then the vocal is supper foggy. Like you used a reverb with no brightness on it. The same goes for the snare and guitars.. sounds like you ran them through a reverb that has a highpass at 100hz and a lowpass at 800hz.. leaving everything very foggy.

Balances are actually good though.. If it weren't for the eq choices this would sound really good.

Hope this helps and that you upload a revision on it. You should listen to reference mixes from various artists. That will help you hear the actual comercial sound on your end of the gear.

What are you monitoring music with? Monitors or headphones? Are they flat?