Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Drag me down;Jerze mix
Hello all,
I found some time to mix Drag me down so here is my take on it. I think this was one of the hardest songs I've had to mix. The song has a lot of interesting parts, but finding a balance was a chore. I tried side chaining the vocals in the verses to get the delay Fx out of the way when he was singing and the let the FX come through when he wasn’t singing. I don't think I hit the mark, but it is a fun one to mix and try some new things out on. Also, I think the biggest thing was automating all the parts.

Thanks for the listen, let me know what you think or if you have any questions!
Need a day away from this song will post on others mixes Tho.
Jerze

.mp3    Adam Buckley\'s \'Drag Me Down\'Mix by Jerze.mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

Hey man how are ya! Here are my observations.

*cool left and right sweep in that guitar intro.
*There is a weird cutoff at 0:12 .. not sure what it is. some weird gate? a weird limitter setting?
*I like your kick. Sounds very tight and punchy.
*The snare sounds a bit compressed for my taste but nothing wrong with that. Sounds good enough I just like my snares more aggresive and not so "small" sounding like.
*I like the rhythm guitars they sound really smooth.
*You wen't the other way than me here on the bass. Yours sounds very quiet and with just enough low end pushing the mix up. Blends well with the mix.
*Vocal sounds very dry. I would definitely use more reverb in the vox track to smooth the vox and have a similar feel or texture to the rest of the mix. It's definitely seating where it should though.
*overall is a good balance and sounds really good.

The one complain I think I have is those cuts at the end of the track are very abrupt. Also the master bus sounds very compressed and I would have liked more dynamics in the song to make the mix explosive.

Hope this helps Smile
(29-12-2018, 02:59 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey man how are ya! Here are my observations.

*cool left and right sweep in that guitar intro.
*There is a weird cutoff at 0:12 .. not sure what it is. some weird gate? a weird limitter setting?
*I like your kick. Sounds very tight and punchy.
*The snare sounds a bit compressed for my taste but nothing wrong with that. Sounds good enough I just like my snares more aggresive and not so "small" sounding like.
*I like the rhythm guitars they sound really smooth.
*You wen't the other way than me here on the bass. Yours sounds very quiet and with just enough low end pushing the mix up. Blends well with the mix.
*Vocal sounds very dry. I would definitely use more reverb in the vox track to smooth the vox and have a similar feel or texture to the rest of the mix. It's definitely seating where it should though.
*overall is a good balance and sounds really good.

The one complain I think I have is those cuts at the end of the track are very abrupt. Also the master bus sounds very compressed and I would have liked more dynamics in the song to make the mix explosive.

Hey Shul I'm doing well.

Thanks for the listen and thoughts!

I’ll look at that at the .12 mark, but it's a tom more than likely hitting the limiter. As for the bass I wasn't looking at having it do much, but I might try to spice it up in the chorus more now that mentioned it. The vocals I tried to dry it up in the verses. I side chained my delay buss with a send from the vocal and adjusted my compressor to open when he wasn't singing. I should try a verb buss, but reverse it and close it when he stops singing food for thought.Also i will check the 2 buss processing been trying some things out always something.

Thanks again for the listen have a great new year!

I think this is missing the sound stage, or glue in the mix.
The snare is overweight in 200hz.
I understand it's best to fit her into the mix.
The delays can be more open, dual delay or ping pong.
I used pitch shift in the voices to leave naturally more open and chorus.