Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
(04-01-2019, 01:55 PM)Monk Wrote:
(25-12-2018, 07:44 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I started with the bass and let that define the rest of the mix. Once I settled on that sound the rest came pretty easily.

Just some nags which might help or hinder Blush

Prosumer gear suggests the bass is overly present in the <120Hz, even at low SPL. The bass guitar and kick, aren't translating to non-prosumer small speakers. I think your plan on using the bass is a good one though, especially in the first half.

I'm generally finding the mix muddy, though much of this is probably caused by the bass overhang or it's masking, in the lower mids.

Vocal needs some air, urgently. Better clarity in his diction also requires a lot of work due to the radical dynamic in the tracking. The right compression approach would also make a big difference in that respect, and this in turn might direct or guide you in the >1000Hz strategy, depending on compressor characteristics, Eq, chain signal flow, etc. You do need to appropriately eq the verb feed though.

Some other issues, less obvious: Organ suffers masking, eg at about 2:15. The wide pan of the organ's modulations should be fixed to comply with Haas rules. Some notes on the conga get masked from the mid channel. Some notes of the whistles could do with taming in the upper range, for example. The verb is no doubt helping to exaggerate the gain along with the cumulative effect of track dB's. I understand your intention with the whistler's ambiance, but some might feel it's out of context with everything else.

I'm finding the timpani's sporadic and uncorrelated musical arrangement difficult to relate to when included with the other percussive elements. In mono it's a confused picture. What to do, if anything? Maybe asking what it's emotional contribution is might help guide the decision-making process.

While I've commented on the mix, the nature of some issues might imply the listening environment's getting in the way. Also feeling a right channel bias too which could be related.

Dang me, that's blown my forum feedback time budget for the month! Did it help?

Monk,

Thanks for the thorough eval of my mix. the amount of effort spent is unexpected and appreciated.

Based upon your responses, I think I should be envious of your listening environment. It must be very accurate. I struggle with mine and unfortunately must rely on psycho-acoustic compensations in mine. I am also struggling from a constant drift of my center from one day to the next and often hour to hour for both of my speaker pairs (early RoR Dual 6" with Dome tweeter, Dell desktop speakers with a sub). I have done some tone outs and see the issue but have not been able to pinpoint the culprit. There is Dante in the mix and I am loathe to consider that as the culprit as there are no adjustments nor recourse within Dante for that.

As for prosumer read through, well you cannot please all the people all the time so in picking my poison with CD over streaming.

Could you clarify your observation on the Hass effect as it relates to the organ? My understanding is that this is a short delay-related effect. Since there is no delay from my side on the organ, I am a bit confused by this.

I have addressed the presence/clarity of the lead vocal which hopefully addressed the reverb tail as well, which is rolled off in both the low and high ends. I was quite happy with the reverb as it appears in the break. Music to my ears, but obviously not to all.

I believe I have also addressed the percussion as well. However, your comment about the timbale is valid and would best be approached with the mute button, which I have chosen not to address, possibly to the detriment of the arrangement.

Again, thank you for your time and effort. I hope the changes I made to this final version result with your affirmation.

MITC.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice open and clear sound. Good balance except for the timbale, which pokes out like it's slapping me across the right cheek Big Grin

Some of the delay and reverb bits are a bit OTT for me (but that's just taste), and there isn't much dynamic range between the choruses and verses.

Really good though, lovely tones and sense of space in the mix.

EDIT: and the whistles are very piercing, they could do with some softening, IMHO.
(09-01-2019, 12:20 AM)Judders Wrote: Nice open and clear sound. Good balance except for the timbale, which pokes out like it's slapping me across the right cheek Big Grin

Some of the delay and reverb bits are a bit OTT for me (but that's just taste), and there isn't much dynamic range between the choruses and verses.

EDIT: and the whistles are very piercing, they could do with some softening, IMHO.

Hey,
Thanks for the listen and comments. One thing of clarification: Did you mean the timbales or the conga? The timbales are on the left.
Try and get some sleep. You know, it's when you close your eyes and rest uninterrupted for more than two hours.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-01-2019, 12:33 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 12:20 AM)Judders Wrote: Nice open and clear sound. Good balance except for the timbale, which pokes out like it's slapping me across the right cheek Big Grin

Hey,
Thanks for the listen and comments. One thing of clarification: Did you mean the timbales or the conga? The timbales are on the left.
Try and get some sleep. You know, it's when you close your eyes and rest uninterrupted for more than two hours.

Sorry, yes, the conga. The hard hits pop out a LOT.
Nice mix! Nice clarity, very well balanced. One thing i would fight for is bass presence or maybe it feels a bit overcompressed (it just a feeling about bass)? Anyway, very good mixing! Cheers
Well balanced mix.

Particularly like the placement of the guitars L,C,R. Nice tone on the vocal, and just the right amount of reverb. Bass guitar is tucked in very nicely also.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(11-01-2019, 12:59 PM)Lethan Wrote: Nice mix! Nice clarity, very well balanced. One thing i would fight for is bass presence or maybe it feels a bit overcompressed (it just a feeling about bass)? Anyway, very good mixing! Cheers

Thanks for the kind words.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-01-2019, 03:19 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Well balanced mix.

Particularly like the placement of the guitars L,C,R. Nice tone on the vocal, and just the right amount of reverb. Bass guitar is tucked in very nicely also.

Thanks so much.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey man...
I was listening carefuly your mix after listen some other and first of all, the best thing was your way of mixing, the way I think the best mix arise which is a combination of audio understanding and a good taste what at least for me means less is more. I say "less" because sounds cleand, balanced, there's nothing sounding extreme like a personal evidence, I mean, of course you mixed as you like, but nothing sounds overkill. I just finish my last version of this mix and will post now and how I was listening many other included yours, I confess...I don't can't judge now who did some sampling in the drums or some hard editing... but I could listen in your drum kit that somethings I had issues mixing is there, in this case, sidestick whith kick many times it's out of sync, and the hats befere and after some fills has losses on grooving and when I started mixing this kind of thing makes me sick! lol. I know it's something personal, but I really get stucked trying to do something with that and when I see I am listening things that sometimes doesn't exist... finding phases problens, well...maybe I have a obsessive compulsive disorder....and when it happens there's two solutions for me...or I just leave as it is and try to correct the best I can using beat detective and in worse cases elastic audio...or I just take a decision to resample the piece is boring me. But even with this irregular perfomance of the drummer (not saying he is not a good drummer), I just listening your mix whithout worrying if that...so, at least for me you leave it natural but in the context there is not drawing attention. Congrats. I want to "chill" my ears and listen again, and if I get something to share about it to improve, I write again!
(25-12-2018, 07:44 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Hello everyone...

It's been some time since I've posted but I am happy to say it is because I have been busy with other mixing opportunities.

It is nice to be back in the fold at CambridgeMT again.

So this composition reminded me immediately of Tracy Chapman's remarkable "Give Me One Reason". So in that vein, I approached this mix.

I started with the bass and let that define the rest of the mix. Once I settled on that sound the rest came pretty easily. This was wonderfully recorded and needed very little to bring out the heart of this song, in my opinion.

I hope you find it worthy of a good listen.

1-06-2019 Update

Thanks to some very good input I have made some changes. Cleaned up the bottom, brightened the top and remastered for the level.

Thanks,
MITC

Wow. love it, Seriously it's awesome, especially that hard right panned guitar with that bright top-end and I also, really, like the way in which the delay is being used in the mix. Bass guitar was also clear, even on small speakers, that means bass guitar mid-range is also processed as it should be. I had a great time listening to it.

Keep up the Good Work.

Hard Work With Correct Knowledge+Information in the Right Direction is Not The Key To Success , But Success Is The Name Of these Three Elements Unified.