Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Children of noone Voelund
Like it! You should just set better a little bit your attack and release, on your 2-bus compressor. All best
Hey jacques and thx !

I must admit I am one of those guys just using a preset on the 2 bus master thing, but i would love to learn.
I take it the attck are too fast too slow and release likewise. Would you take the time and let me know in which direction I should try and twist the buttons.

All best Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(10-10-2013, 09:04 PM)Voelund Wrote: Hey jacques and thx !

I must admit I am one of those guys just using a preset on the 2 bus master thing, but i would love to learn.
I take it the attck are too fast too slow and release likewise. Would you take the time and let me know in which direction I should try and twist the buttons.

All best Big Grin

Alright so I use always SSL Comp from wave plug in on my 2-bus, you can start on setting the threshold al 12 dB and the make up at +3 dB, start with 4:1 ratio and move attack 3 ms and then release .6 (play with does setting move one time attack and see what's up, same for release, look for the punch of the kick, and the vibes of the song, sometime is different setting than the one that I say, when you will move the release you will ear the magic!!!) when you find the right spot put ratio at 2:1 your VU meter should hit around +4 (but don't take it as a must). Have fun my friend Wink All best

P.S Check my mix it would be great
Defo gonna try your thing when back home. Thx my friend. Gettin home i will listen and comment on your mix as well. Things have been little hectic lasr days ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Very powerful riffs.... great work on this one.

I haven't tried mixing this one yet so I'm not familiar with the tracks or the challenges but I have a couple of small suggestions you could try if you were so inclined. Is the lead vocal double tracked? It sounds like something is disagreeing with the intonation in a few places, so you could try panning them 10% on either side to tame the disagreement or putting some love on the offending track with a pitch corrector if you wanted. Also the ride cymbal sounds like it's in front of the guitars in a couple places, which isn't my style but I know some dudes like really upfront drums for rock music. And maybe the guitars' low ends are filtered a teeny bit much, but that's from a modern perspective, I think. Classic rock generally employed thinner guitar sounds, and I like that quality, too.

As for positives, I like how you've made the sound very aggressive. There's a lot of cut and bite, even with the limiter in place, and the guitars are wiiiiiicked nasty (in the good way Wink)

And I don't think the snare is too loud. I read somewhere that Mick Jagger suggested turning the entire mix down so low that you could barely hear anything, and the only instruments that should come through are the vocals and snare. Obviously that doesn't apply to a lot of music, but for a classic rock tune like this, you've done that without realizing it and it sounds great, so Mick must have been on to something.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Wow, outstanding! Your experience shows through, and what is possible with persevering in the complex world of mixing. Had a chuckle when I read your comment on deleting the solo's... Nice one Wink
Good mix, sounds quite balanced except the box that is a little over 300hz.
Otherwise it's great
Good job Voelund
Compresor de bus SSL, Gates Sta-Level, Dbx 160x, UA 1176, Bae 1073, Lomo Up27, Ear 822Q, IGS Tubecore Mastering Edition, Lexicon PCM 70, Ferrofish A16, SSL Six, Studer Revox B77, Yamaha HS8