Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City'
Yo!! What can I do better?? Thanks.

.mp3    LivingInTheCity4MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.13 MB)

Version 2

balanced tone and added small automation, too much bass on the first one. See room for improvements?

.mp3    LivingInTheCity7AMP3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.13 MB)

By adding all that brightness in v2, things sit way better, though I think you overdid a little with the OH's (and maybe snare too, though it could be just because of the OH's bleed). That track could take one little step back. Main guitar has much more character now and the reverb return in the voice gels better too.

For the same reasons, it seems like bass lost some glue and presence. Maybe it needs a little midrange to feel more in the same page with the rest of things going thru the center of the mix. I'm not too fond of that superwide OH's because it kinda looks as if the ride were double tracked, but since you kept guitars/organ kinda mono in comparison, things end up pretty balanced so it's just a matter of taste. The way you panned the hitom works beautifully for the fills, in both versions. Backing vocals were weak in v1, solved in v2 (as far as you can get with those kinda hack vocals).

Untill some Andy Wallace passes by and illuminates us, I don't think there's A LOT you can do better than this, really.
Cool, thanks, I appreciate the feedback!! I agree with your critiques. The overheads are blarey in spots, I left them that way consciously in the beginning of the track because I've heard some engineers talk about giving the first track on an album a slight treble boost to pull in the attention of the listener, I felt like I'd apply that to the track itself but yeah, I think now it could be overkill. I agree about the bass too. I'll tweak it a bit to see if I can't get it to sit better. Thanks again!