Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Zane Carey- 'TalkToMeBaby' New Mix (yeah?)
Deliza; Oh my!! palm to forehead... you've given me so much to see. Smile (hear). It's fantastic though, so good to have reference points to look into my mix with the points listed by you. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

I like the suggestion of using a reference track and I'll go pull one and start using it. But also, which I didn't think about, is to use another mix on this song here in the forum and place that in my project as a reference track. That's a great idea, cool trick. There is one mix here (ERJEE). I'll bring that down into my mix for ref then.

I appreciate the nod on working on cutting up and doctoring the volume level and fade in's to soften harsh biting loud explicatives and pops in his singing, especially on 'Baby' grins. But that work is useful and productive. Thanks for backing that technique up. I did however, later made a duplicate track and only used H-Comp (waves plugins I mostly use) and it really cut those higher notes down with only using the plugin itself. So I was quite amazed with that. I do have a lot to learn. Maybe over half of my work on the volume track (chose Vox track #2 as it to me had more expression) was not necessary. So I'll be working more and looking at that.

And I appreciate the -20 db reference point on the stereo master track. I use the waves L3-LL ultramaximizer to keep the level steady at whatever I choose as the peak standard for my mix. I remember during the mix I was using -12db as my highest reference and I thought in future I should go to -18db, but I'm going to jump on the -20db and go from that as it's been tested and used well by another mixer, yorself.

The bass sound muffled, though good. I didn't work much on the bass, just placed it in the eq and with the kick drum. Is this right; that I gave the kick drum the lowest end up to 200, and after 200 I gave to the bass guitar. Of course I cut out from the eq on one what the other was using. And eq low pass and high passed out the rest on both. ??

Yeah, I did say to myself that I need to go back into the HH track and chop it up and take down the volume on the high loud hits, while leaving the regular ride hits there, also I noticed that the kick drum and snare drum were in that track and I'd have to cut those out too.. ugh. But then I didn't really process the kick drum or the snare, so I stopped where I needed to do more work. What technique I used was to place the kick and tom 3 and an overhead on drum/bass bus and tom2 and snare and another oh on bus drum/mid and the hh and another oh on a drum/treble bus track and I worked fx on those bus tracks. And of course I used fx on the treble bus track and forgot to use any fx on the other two mid and bass drum bus tracks. So my goof there. But after hearing your advice on how little some mixers actually use but focus on an OH track and work from that, that seems now like such a good idea to me. I'm going to try that now.

And thanks for the advice, I'll look for and use the reaper analyze loudness plugin. Didn't even know it was there, huh.
And yes on all of the other suggestions and advice, I'll search and study google/youtube on those techniques and learn them.

Thanks so much, it's late, gotta hit the sack. Smile
again, thanks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zane Carey- 'TalkToMeBaby' New Mix (yeah?) - by chuckboyer2016 - 21-12-2018, 02:26 AM