Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag me down - Womblez mix
Hi,

I thought I'd give this one a go, I really liked the arrangement on this track. Appreciate any comments or feedback on my mix!

.mp3    Drag Me Down v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.7 MB)

Overall not a bad mix, I will say the low end of the bass is overwhelming the rest of the mix and as a side effect, eating up a lot of headroom and taking away the impact of the mix. I noticed that the synths are quite a deal louder than the rest of the instruments in the mix, in this track the synths are there to add colour rather than be the focal point of the song, adding too much really gets distracting and they start to lose their magic after being pummeled with them for the length of the track.

From my point of view it seems like the decision may have been made because the synths were being eaten up by the bass. I'd try high passing the bass at 80 Hz or try dialing in a bass tone with the DI track through something like TSE B.O.D (a freeware plugin emulation of the legendary Tech21 Bass Driver DI) that doesn't have so much low end power, bass will naturally be more low end focused so making a super low end heavy tone in a track as dense as this will only cause you grief when it comes to fitting everything else together. In the end you'll find that a solid balance will be easier to achieve when your bass tone isn't trying to be the main source of low end for the mix and working in conjunction with the kick and the low end of the rhythm guitars, and you'll have something that will be easier to master because the focus will be on polishing up the mix for distribution rather than taming the low end of the mix.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Doug, many thanks for your comments. Apologies for delayed response I have been travelling, but when I get a chance I will take another go at this. Now I listen again I can hear the bass end problems - definitely needs some work! Many thanks for taking the time to listen and for your constructive feedback. It's always appreciated Smile