Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions - My Master
Warning: Might be very loud! Turn your speakers down.

Boy, was this mix/master a chore.

I want to start off by saying that I am an audio student at Full Sail University who is about to graduate. I would say I have about 2-3 years of mixing experience, so I am generally confident with my skills, but not easily satisfied either. I come on Cambridge sometimes to see what others think of my mixing. That said, I don't feel like I really got the sound I wanted with this mix/master.

The snare, kick, and toms were all replaced using Slate Trigger. I handpicked what I thought fit best.

The vocals were especially hard to work with. There are spots where the vocal will fit great and other times when it just doesn't fit. I had trouble making the vocal sit right in general. I wanted to use Melodyne but unfortunately didn't have it at the time. I added some harmony and distortion effects for certain parts to try and make it more interesting. The vocals might be too low.

The guitars, in my opinion, should have been quad tracked. I found it difficult working with the lead part in the beginning, but I tried making it working by adding some effects to it. There weren't any DIs, which could have helped a ton. Listening to it now, the guitars might be too overpowering.

I added an EQ sweep during the middle transition, which I thought helped add diversity to the track.

I added an intro sound as well as some small sub drops throughout the song to try and make the transitions stand out more.

Overall, it was a surprisingly hard song to mix given what I had. Go ahead and tell me what you think!

.mp3    AllHandsLost_Ambitions MASTER final.mp3 --  (Download: 11.61 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 14-12-2018, 04:51 AM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 03-04-2019, 09:09 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by AJ78 - 08-11-2019, 06:19 AM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 08-11-2019, 06:45 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by pipelineaudio - 08-04-2019, 05:21 AM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 08-04-2019, 06:45 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by AJ78 - 08-11-2019, 09:27 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 09-11-2019, 04:58 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by RyanB - 25-09-2020, 01:31 PM
RE: Ambitions - My Master - by Nick - 27-09-2020, 04:20 AM