Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Buckley: Drag Me Down - Donner Claus Mix
Hey everyone. I've only done a couple mixes before, but this is my latest. I haven't been getting too creative with it. just trying to get a good basic mix.

My biggest concern is probably the guitars. Some parts sound a little unbalanced and, I think due to panning. I wanted a little more of the transients for Guitar 2 (The power chord lines) but turning up the DI signal was starting to sound nasty.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated! Let me know what you think. Haven't listened to this on reference speakers yet.

Enjoy!

Edit: Added an updated version!

.mp3    Drag Me Down V2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.82 MB)

.mp3    Drag Me Down V3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.84 MB)

Overall it's good
here are my observations

*Drums and bass are solid the way the are for now. maybe with new tweaks you will change them but I think they are solid enough to build on top of it.
*toms could be louder just to poke through the mix better. Perhaps a cut around the 500hz area will help clean them to cut through better.
*I'm not getting the explosion I would want from those rhythm guitars if they are in mono. You should definitely use the 2 guitar tracks and pan them hard left and right. It will create space in the middle.
*Voices are very loud in comparison with the rest of the mix but I think it's more noticeable this way because they are very dry and raw sounding. You should enhance them more with eq and throw some reverb on them.
*Those lead guitars could use benefit from panning as well. don't be afraid to hard pan stuff.

Overall it's a good start. I would suggest you spread your mix more with those guitars and bring down the vocals and work with bright eq and reverb work on them. Keep it up.
(13-12-2018, 07:44 AM)Shul Wrote: *I'm not getting the explosion I would want from those rhythm guitars if they are in mono. You should definitely use the 2 guitar tracks and pan them hard left and right. It will create space in the middle.
*Voices are very loud in comparison with the rest of the mix but I think it's more noticeable this way because they are very dry and raw sounding. You should enhance them more with eq and throw some reverb on them.
*Those lead guitars could use benefit from panning as well. don't be afraid to hard pan stuff.

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty new to mixing this type of music. All the different guitar tracks were definitely overwhelming and I wasn't sure how to deal with the panning to make them sound right. I'll take your advice and try to be a little more extreme with my panning.