Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better'
Here Is Version 1
Spent a couple of hours so far !
Version 2,3,4 some minor adjustments
Version 5 made some adjustments based on feedback couldn't resist and added some subtle strings !
Edit for some reason version 5 had combe filtering on the kick re uploaded again !
Version 6 is based on Mikes detailed feedback ,Reduced the overall loudness of the mix , removed the added strings ,widened the bass ,built up the break adding the piano first and then the guitar , reduced dynamic eq on the guitars along with many other tweaks
Deleted versions 2,3,4, which only had some very minor level tweaks between them compared to the versions left !
Version 6 competition mix !
Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter V1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.46 MB)

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetterV-5...Combe filtering on the kick fixed..mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter.V6..mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Don
Sounds great in the headphones, nice balance, like the lofi drums.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
It sounds nice. A couple of minor things jump out at me.
-I'm not a fan of the riff guitar sound. It feels too thin. Or at least the effect on it does. But that's just a personal preference I think.
-It's interesting another mix I listened to of this song felt kind of slow and plodding. Where the delay/reverb on the main 'skank guitar almost pushes the pace too much and I want it to relax a bit more. It's a great sound but 'propels' the song to much. Also I think it might distract from the vocal a bit. The lower mids of the guitar might be able to be cut a bit. It feels a little thick and pressing. It might be a compression effect though.
-I like the drum sound. They don't feel lo-fi to me. The kick might be a little 'modern'. Is there a sample added?
-I could use more of the background vocals.
-The bass works and fits the mix.
-Overall everything works tonally. I like the sound of the mix but it might be a bit too compressed. But it's hard for me to say because I'm Mr Compression so I really have not right to critique that aspect of a mix.

Good Job!
agreed with roy. im also a huge fan and abuser of compression, distortion etc, but now the side effects are perhaps too audible. cant say if its main mix, channel or bus compression, but on some elements feels like the compression ducking the space a bit too much, as if there was too much post reverb compression going on at least on some elements. the 'tone' of the mix and levels feels very good with the very thedonish high frequency transients. nice work. ^_^
Hi don how have you been doing?I agree with Kapu about the buss compression its very audible,not a bad start though.
Reaper user
(10-12-2018, 12:51 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Don
Sounds great in the headphones, nice balance, like the lofi drums.
Cheers
KSmile
Thanks for the feedback reduced some compression on the Drums !
Cheers Big Grin

(10-12-2018, 05:01 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds nice. A couple of minor things jump out at me.
-I'm not a fan of the riff guitar sound. It feels too thin. Or at least the effect on it does. But that's just a personal preference I think.
-It's interesting another mix I listened to of this song felt kind of slow and plodding. Where the delay/reverb on the main 'skank guitar almost pushes the pace too much and I want it to relax a bit more. It's a great sound but 'propels' the song to much. Also I think it might distract from the vocal a bit. The lower mids of the guitar might be able to be cut a bit. It feels a little thick and pressing. It might be a compression effect though.
-I like the drum sound. They don't feel lo-fi to me. The kick might be a little 'modern'. Is there a sample added?
-I could use more of the background vocals.
-The bass works and fits the mix.
-Overall everything works tonally. I like the sound of the mix but it might be a bit too compressed. But it's hard for me to say because I'm Mr Compression so I really have not right to critique that aspect of a mix.

Good Job!
Hey Roy ,
Thanks for the detailed Feedback !
The Background vocals I had reverb only and the dry track Muted Blush
Adjusted the Eq on the riff Guitar
Reduced master bus compression
You are right I used Kick Sample ,the kick needs more work !
Hopefully Version 2 is a touch Better .
looking forward to your feedback !
Cheers Big Grin

(10-12-2018, 09:42 PM)kapu Wrote: agreed with roy. im also a huge fan and abuser of compression, distortion etc, but now the side effects are perhaps too audible. cant say if its main mix, channel or bus compression, but on some elements feels like the compression ducking the space a bit too much, as if there was too much post reverb compression going on at least on some elements. the 'tone' of the mix and levels feels very good with the very thedonish high frequency transients. nice work. ^_^
Thanks for Having a listen Kapu ,
Hopefully Version 2 sounds less compressed !
Cheers Big Grin

(11-12-2018, 06:01 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi don how have you been doing?I agree with Kapu about the buss compression its very audible,not a bad start though.
Hi Cudjoe ,
Been Very Busy doing live Gigs !
Hopefully Version 2 the compression is less Audible !
Cheers Big Grin

Hi don v2 much better but the bass seems to start of loud then goes down???
Reaper user