Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg - you Know better (spandex mix)
Hey Spandexcore
Sounds Good!
Yeah the bass sounds much better, sits good. I agree with Cudjoe about the reverb. but, that's a taste thing.
Great Job!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey guys

so after listen to Mikes podcast i had another look into and made a few changes, as well as with the advise of the guys on the forum (ever so grateful)

So have a listen and let me know

Cheers

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter 6-001.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

great job
I love the clinking glasses. Classic!
Very creative re-amping and arrangement choices.
With all the work you've done, I was a little let down from the third chorus to the out. It seems to have lost the energy you so finely crafted up to that point.
The sounds are excellent and treatments superb otherwise.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-01-2019, 04:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I love the clinking glasses. Classic!
Very creative re-amping and arrangement choices.
With all the work you've done, I was a little let down from the third chorus to the out. It seems to have lost the energy you so finely crafted up to that point.
The sounds are excellent and treatments superb otherwise.

Thanks for the kind words, even more thanks on the criticism, you're dead right, i had a little re mix (no 7) and hopefully I've addressed the issue. hopefully a little more energy at the end

Cheers Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Better. One more suggestion? Maybe sculpt the vocal reverb return some?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Listening to version 7 ,sounds great the top end of the snare bottom maybe popping out a touch to my taste anyway !
well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Spandexcore -- lots of cool ideas you've got going in this mix! The bottle-clink was a great touch, and the electric guitar sounds were fresh and interesting, if a touch mono-incompatible on occasion. Your overall mix tonality seems pretty sensible, although I'd probably give the bass a bigger share of the sub-100Hz energy, as it currently lacks a bit of low-end support for the harmonies. The kick also ends up being a little too 'thunderous', and doesn't balance too well against the comparatively lightweight snare, which means that the Reintro and Outro lose a bit of rhythmic drive and some of the drum fills aren't as attention-grabbing as they could be. The cymbals are nicely contained though.

The lead vocal feels a touch boxy around 800Hz, and suffers from the variable low-frequency levels that afflict many of the mixes I've heard so far. In addition, the vocal level isn't that solid throughout the mix, and I noticed some quite large disparities in vocal level between similar sections. Clearly, there are reasons you might actually want inter-section level variations, but in this instance it doesn't seem planned that way. A trick I often use is to set up marker points at the start of each of a set of similar sections (say the choruses), so that at any point I can remind myself where I should be aiming at while automating the vocal, and there's less likelihood that the vocal level will drift quieter/louder through the song unintentionally. I reckon a slightly less dense and darker vocal reverb would also help, because the current patch feels a bit artificial and draws the vocal backwards in the depth perspective. In general, I'd also reiterate the advice I've provided to some other entrants, that it's worth automating your effects sends in this case, as that'll help make the production feel a little more like a mainstream pop mix.

The processing on the rhythm guitars is emphasising the little muted pickings on the sixteenth-notes between the main eighth-note off-beats, which feels to me like it's causing the groove to drag. In general, the more you labour shorter beat subdivisions, the more you'll create this kind of psychologic slowing effect. When the Hammond arrives in Chorus 1, it rather dominates the texture, especially in the lower midrange. I'd carve away at it with some EQ, so that it sits behind the lead vocal, not in front of it. The Outro could have a little more of the live clap tracks, I think, and the mod vocals could be widened in some way too -- as it stands, they sound a bit narrow and distant, whereas it'd be better for the party vibe if there was a certain amount of stereo spread to them, I reckon.

I like a lot of the arrangement work you've done, but there's still precious little differentiation between Verse 1 and Verse 2, which feels like an oversight. Then, in Chorus 1, I wonder whether the whistle riff's gilding the lily. Remember that, at this point in the song, the casual listener will be hearing the chorus melody and lyric for the first time, so I don't think it's wise to distract them from that important task with such a prominent counterpoint at that moment. By all means bring it in for Chorus 2, once they've already heard the Chorus tune once. Removing the off-beat chords during the Reintro section was one of my favourite ideas of yours, as it makes more of a feature of the solo guitar line and Hammond rotary-speaker texture, so good work there.

Thanks for posting -- some great ideas for us all to ponder in there! Smile
So ive jumped back into this guy...

hopefully ive somewhat improved on the comments ive recieved, as always thanks guys for all the advice

cheers

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter 8.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)