Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Dragme Down (FINAL MIX UPDATE) Fun song!
First I'd like to say that now I understand why everyone here was getting similar results on this song. It's well recorded and the drums are all samples already. Quite easy to set up.. Lil bit late to this mix but I had to do it, it's such a cool song! and fun to mix!

Having said that the thing I tried to preserve here were the dynamics of the song. It's a very energetic song and without dynamics it's hard to make it shine. I also noticed that most mixes didn't pay enough attention to the lil beat in the middle of the song.. most mixes here had that so loud that it disconnected the mix (in my opinion) so I hope I got it right.

I hope you all like my work and please feel free to give your view on it. It's always good to hear where I went wrong or what I missed. I'm not here every day but when I am I try to give feedback as much as I can.

Thanks guys and happy mixing!

p.s. I included an instrumental mix just in case anyone wants to hear detailed work on my instruments. Voice gets in the way a lot.

_____________________ UPDATE UPDATE
Updated tracks. Fixed eq's on voice and other instruments. dropped the master volume because it was too loud. Polished the dynamics with automation overall a rebalanced everythig just a tiny bit. I wasn't happy with how the voice sounded so I based my tweaks on it.

I will remove the old tracks because in my opinion these sound better and they are not a major change on it.

thanks for listening

__________________ UPDATE 2

Went ASKING ALEXANDRIA on my final mix. reverb!!!!!
Not a fan of too much reverb but hey.. I tried not to destroy it.
Did a lot of edits and payed attention to detail on some fades. Fixed some guitars as pointed out in the comments. Dragged the volume of the fuzzy bass down a bit. Worked more on the vocals and finally went for that really processed feel on it. I'm done with this song for a while. I'm happy with the results.

What do you guys think?

.mp3    DragmeDownShulFINAL.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

.mp3    DragmeDownShulMix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

.mp3    DragmeDownShulINSTRUMENTAL1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

hi! sounds great! thinking about the bass. its solid and controlled, but quite unconventional to have such edmish bass. still, sounds very good. great mixing. ^_^
(08-12-2018, 04:53 PM)kapu Wrote: hi! sounds great! thinking about the bass. its solid and controlled, but quite unconventional to have such edmish bass. still, sounds very good. great mixing. ^_^

I'm confused as to what edmish is?? care to explain more?

Also I'm fixing a lot of things at the moment. I'll post the mix again because I didn't quite like the first one.
updated tracks above. Discarded the old ones.
(08-12-2018, 05:43 PM)Shul Wrote: I'm confused as to what edmish is?? care to explain more?

meant 'kind of edm'. the sub octave feels a bit too strong. ^_^
(09-12-2018, 03:30 AM)kapu Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 05:43 PM)Shul Wrote: I'm confused as to what edmish is?? care to explain more?

meant 'kind of edm'. the sub octave feels a bit too strong. ^_^

Oh I see... yes well I ran the bass DI through an amp simulator to get a deeper and warmer bass sound but there were also 2 more tracks on the bass. I used the Fuzz Bass track to give it more edge to cut through the top end. I probably over did it a lil but I also checked out some of the pop punk songs out there and they tend to have that fuzzy bass effect on them. I figured it would help accentuate the bass more in the song since it's really busy musically.

Thanks for the comment Kapu!
Hi Shul, great job as always! My suggestion is that the clean guitar line panned right in the choruses (ElecGtr3, iirc) is too dry and up front. Especially with its tone, it sounds and feels like a midi recorded VST guitar, not a real one. I suggest soaking it in a handful amount of delay and/or reverb, then bring both gtr3 and 4 down in the back a little. That's what I did in my own mix, and it blended better! Everything else is VERY good! Looking forward to hearing more!
(11-12-2018, 03:03 AM)bcs_mix Wrote: Hi Shul, great job as always! My suggestion is that the clean guitar line panned right in the choruses (ElecGtr3, iirc) is too dry and up front. Especially with its tone, it sounds and feels like a midi recorded VST guitar, not a real one. I suggest soaking it in a handful amount of delay and/or reverb, then bring both gtr3 and 4 down in the back a little. That's what I did in my own mix, and it blended better! Everything else is VERY good! Looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks for the comment and observation. I fixed the guitars on final mix.
maybe there are some minor tweaks needed ... i'm a bit tired of my ears Lol. Hope you like the new version.
Hi Shul,

Great mix, clear and punchy. It explodes when it needs to explode, and everything is in control, doing its part and placing itself well in the stereo spectrum.

I feel the rhythm guitars are a tad midrangey and aggessive, for this kind of song I would make them deeper and bigger and more "buttery" (if that makes any sense) since they're just doing power chords. This could be at the expense of the drums and bass, so it could be a compromise.

The voice is clear, sits well in the mix and I like the switch between the verses and choruses, although the latter sounds a little too "radio voice" for me.

Great mix overall, good job.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

OctopusonFire

Thanks for the feedback on my mix.

Rhythm guitars : it's curious that you mention that. I doubled the tracks but in the doubled guitars I did a boost on the low and and top end expecting it to have a punchy chorus section. Perhaps I should make the intro section of the rhythm guitars a Lil brighter. I made that choice based on so many post-hardcore bands having such mid-range and punchy guitars. I also did a mono listen on the mix and in mono the mid-range feel on it helps to have a more solid kind mix. It even sounded good in my opinion on my tiny phone speaker. I also used a mid tier headphone to reference the mix and it works just fine.

Voice: yes you are right I did a shelf drop on the low end in the voice that would give a radio voice feel on it. The purpose for it is to not have extra low end on the voices since I have the back voice playing almost at the same level as the main vox and those back voices are very low end dependant. Also I did that to make a distinction of the verse section to the chorus section. If you noticed that then I guess it did work the way I wanted.

Nowhere near a perfect mix but I'm glad you found it likable. Thanks for the input.
Smile