Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Livin in the City :: it's hard
Hello, friends.
Here is my mix. Any criticism is much appreciated. Cheers!

edit: i forgot to pan the toms oops. i'll fix that in the next revision lol

.mp3    livin_in_the_city_print1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
sounds good! maybe some build up in the lower mids? good energy and punch. unpanned toms didnt bother me. levels are spot on. nice work. ^_^
Nice balance! got some punch and energy! I agree with Kapu something in the lower mids, maybe the low end of the L guitar and the bass. other than that a solid mix!
Great Job!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
It's a vibrant no-frills mix, fun to listen to! Nice kick-snare balance, too. I really wouldn't have those toms panned, they keep the tension better like that and there's stereo presence enough with the guitars.

The not so good: Reverb return (I assume it's the same for the vocal and the snare drum, at least?) could use some LC and more early reflections/less tail. And...
...when she starts singing, you can clearly hear the edit because of the bleed, maybe it's better not to gate her at all, since that changes the tone of the drums too. Also, it might be 1-2dB's too loud.
I agree with the above. Lots to like in this mix but the low mids are very muddy.
I boosted the low-mids in the bass with a fairly wide Q so maybe that's why Big Grin
I'll have to double check with my headphones and sonarworks and tweak some stuff. Appreciate the advice Smile
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Agree with the above comments about the low mids sounds like there's an effect on em...overall mix is good though nice tones
Nice energy and I really like the vocal timbre. Very present and charismatic

In the L channel I hear a bit of a boomy reverb buildup and some hiss when the cymbals are going. Did you EQ your reverb channels at all, i.e. Abbey Road reverb trick? You can also use a little bit of distortion or saturation to calm the OH.