Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Get Out Of Bed - gloukin mix
Quick first draft here, let me know your thoughts.

.mp3    Get Out Of Bed.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

nice mix overall. if i was going to offer any advice, maybe thicken lead vox a smidge with (more ) parallel compression to lock it down for that rock god presence in the mix. good job Smile

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thank you, will look into that. Smile
First, you really nailed that basic combo: drums, bass, vocal and twin guitars. It's not easy to get dry parts sit so well and you managed beautifully. Those laddish choirs are great too!

On the other hand, guitar overdubs didn't really do it for me. They don't gel half as good (especially the main riff guitar, too much bluesy lowmids) and there comes a time when you just can't have every part clean and with body, meaning they may need some lofi treatment and take a step behind. The panning of the solo doesn't make much sense, IMHO. Didn't care much for the tambourine, either. It felt as an aferthought overdubbed in a small room when then main combo is screaming "big rock room".

I haven't mixed this tune, but fella OctopusOnFire made some cool versions:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=24867

His v1 and v2 (v1 being my favourite) are an example of what I'm trying to say about the overdubs, though I'm aware yours and his are very different mixes, yours keeping drum transients and a much cleaner and dryer approach. But if you put attention, you'll notice his guitars are dirtier, more muddy and "smaller" (you could say it's kinda a "the less "important"/the smaller" ratio) but gel so nicely. There should be a way of integrating some of that in your mix and help it lift off.

Hope this helps, suerte!
Thanks, Deliza. Useful and detailed feedback as always. I will see if I can incorporate it into the new version.