Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I get it?
Back from the start... what a sparse arrangment... I wasn't sure how to do it.
It's a great song. hope I got the vibe.

.mp3    BFTS-7.mp3 --  (Download: 6.22 MB)

It sounds good, raw and natural, though it may lack thickness and some glue. Drumkit has punch and makes sense space wise (dig the panned hat). Acoustic guitar, main vocal and electric piano sound good, too. That
acoustic guitar, which pretty much plays the part of the bass, is particularly interesting, it has a haunting feel, like a beast stalking a prey, pretty cool.

There are some things that make the mix kinda incomplete to me. Vocal levels should be more consistent part to part. There are parts when it’s too low, and then a whispered part is pretty loud… it’s confusing. The “black magic woman” vocals should be a highlight, but that reverb didn’t really work for me and it’s a shame to keep them mono.

Electric guitar jumps out too much now and then (0:50, 1:05). It’d be nice in a busier arrangement, but some squash could make it darker and thicker, so it could help make the mix fuller.

The high frets bass parts could use some more presence and bite.
The djembe/congas/whatever panning feels weird on headphones. I was wondering what would it sound like if you just mute it. Shaker sound pretty good. Hope this helps, it could get really good with some revisiting.