Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My shot at mixing Directions
Hey there!
I've just started mixing about 3 months ago, when a friend asked me to mix his album. It was so much fun that i now want to get better and eventually become the best mixer in the world, of course! Wink

The mix is done completely on headphones (beyer dynamic dt 880), just in the end i listened to it on my shitty monitors (krk rokit 5).

I've put some mastering plugs on the stereo out, just for listening (kramer tape, api comp, ll3-multimax).

I'd looove to hear some feedback from you guys, since I have really no idea wether I'm heading into the rigth direction (haha) even...

Cheers, Markus

.mp3    Tom McKinsey - Directions PRACTICE3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

Hey Markus,

I think you have a good starting point there.

This song sounds very much like a singer-songwriter tune.
In the beginning, the guitars and vocals seem very seperate from one another. Maybe a subtle room reverb would help with that, and give the performance a more lively feel.
Also the telephony mid-range on the vocals (somewhere 1.5-3.5k) seems a bit hyped and doesnt fit the tone of the song.
The Bass guitar sounds nice, but it's low end could be more controlled.
Also the backing vocals could use some room verb aswell.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hey Lukas,
first, thx a lot for taking the time to answer!
I can see all of your points, especially the telephoney-fq on the vox and the missing room.

And, could you give me a tip on how to control the bass guitars low end more? I now took out a bit more of the low-mid, around 200 hz, and highpass-filtered it more, around 70 hz... too high? more compression?
my problem is, i'm good with the overall sound of the bass, just with some notes the frequencies seem to "break out", how to deal with that?

Please let me know what mix of yours you want to have reviewed in exchange,I'd be happy to do that Smile

M

.mp3    Tom McKinsey - Connected PRACTICE4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.73 MB)

Hey Markus,

I am always happy to help.
The space now sounds cohesive to me, as if all performed at once.
One thing I might try is to place the main guitar in the middle, as if the singer played it. Might work, might not work.
I think the inconsistencies in the bass, where not a matter of EQ. I liked the tone and fullness of the bass in the first version more.

I would try a multiband compressor, to compress the very low end of the bass (maybe below 120-150Hz) heavily (high ratio, medium attak, slow release) so you have a consistent foundation to build up on.
For individual notes riging out, you could try a dynamic EQ. (Free Plugin: TDR Nova)
you could describe it as a more flexible multiband compressor. If you need further info, google "TDR Nova introduction by Dan Worral" and click on the first YT video.

I downloaded your Practice 4 and "mastered" it.
Meaning I try to adress the issues as best I could with the dynamic EQ I mentioned, mid-side EQ and De-Essing.
You can listen to the A/B below. A is you, B is me.

If your are in on the details, here we go:
Dynamic EQ in the 90HZ region, about 4-5db with 2db make up. I also removed the side signal below 120 Hz or so, for cleaner low end.
(Just noticed I was to aggresive as the low guitar notes now pull to the center, maybe 100Hz would be better)
I added a slight high-shelf in the sides only (so the mono components are not effectet). You will notice the shaker being more present.
I also did a dynamic EQ at 800Hz to try to catch the vocal, along with a normal EQ at 2500Hz. I tried to get rid of the telephone effect.
I slapped a de-esser on the mono signal, so it just catches the vocal and not the percussion.

Of course all those things are easier to do while mixing, but I tried anyway Smile

I would be happy if you could listen to my mix of Catching Up and/or Colour Me Red (the latter will be online shortly)

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    TomMcKinsey - Markus A_B Test.mp3 --  (Download: 3.58 MB)

(27-11-2018, 04:19 PM)LukasL Wrote: For individual notes riging out, you could try a dynamic EQ. (Free Plugin: TDR Nova)
you could describe it as a more flexible multiband compressor. If you need further info, google "TDR Nova introduction by Dan Worral" and click on the first YT video.

How the f*** is that plgin free?! I'm just watching the video and that thing is amazing! THx sooo much for pointing me to it!

Also, thx in advance for everything else, i'll go into it after watching the nova-tutorial...