Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: 'Catching Up' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

here is my mix of this nicely performed and recorded song.
This was my first time comping the vocals myself (I only used takes 2-4, didnt like the first or last one), so let me know how I did.
Regarding the vocals I compressed them very firmly to bring up a lot detail, I may have overdone it. Same goes with the brightness.

Besides the vocals, not much was done. Mostly light EQ and Compression.
I didnt use the Drum Rooms (the "amb" mics sounded better to me), Hi-Hat or Ride Mics.

__UPDATE V2__
- Removed 1176 Style Compressor on the vocal. Now "just" PL Comp and LA2A Style comp
- Sent Instruments and Vocal to slight Room reverb

Let me know how I did.
Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    LyndseyOllard_CatchingUp_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

.mp3    LyndseyOllard_CatchingUp_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

Hi Lukas,

Nice mix, we approached the guitars in a similar way, and got similar results. I like your drums/bass better and surely will go back to my mix, try to tweak them.

I don't think anything is overly bright, but you'd be right taking down the compression on the vocal a notch. Maybe use a slower compressor to give it a bit more movement instead. The vocal transients poke out, I guess from the compression as well. The tone of the voice is really good, which was hard to get in this song, so that's not a problem. Also, the voice sounds a little dry to me in the context.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Nicely done. Any possible over-compression of the voice would be more easily over-looked if the vocal was a bit more embedded in the room with the rest of the ensemble. I like your reaction to and use the many melodic lines of the guitars.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice Job Lucas

Music sounds very well balanced and a nice soundstage, smooth.
I agree with octo the compression on the vocals is bringing out some transients, but the vocal tone is really nice.
Good Job
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks for all the Feedback.

Version 2 is up, with your suggestions in mind!