Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: 'Catching Up
(27-11-2018, 12:44 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey K,

Try not to over think it too much. For the verses, I really like what I hear as far as the vocal sounds. It's soft and intimate and for me, works beautifully. In saying that, you may want to mult out the vocal parts so you can process the louder sections with a little more aggression. Generally I find the louder chorus parts of the song sounding somewhat busy and ungrounded. Not really sure what it is though. I think a stronger mono-ed snare would be beneficial in helping here as well as focusing on the strength of the rhythm parts within. I can't offer much more help unfortunately Kirk, but I'm sure you'll work it out.

Dave

Hey Dave
Thanks!! Im working on it now, Ill try your suggestions, Thanks for the help, always appreciated
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Final Version is up
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(27-11-2018, 11:22 AM)KMuzic Wrote: The vocals are driving me nuts.

They do indeed. Maybe this will help, I'm doing it more and more with these cases. One of the main problems of this vocal is its inconsistent lower-mid range. If you EQ it out, the voice gets thin and super nasal, since it's very strong on 2kHz as well, but you need that 2K. If you don't, it will drive your compressor crazy.

So, Chris released a plugin last week called "Floor". It's supposed to be used to beef up and tighten the low end, something like Waves MaxxBass. However, its range is not limited to the low end.

Using a plugin for what it is supposed to? Ain't nobody got time fo that! Big Grin

Run the voice through this plugin. Add plenty of drive, and start moving up the "floor" fader until you stop hearing that low mid muff. Now, move down the Dry/Wet fader to bring back some low end. Adjust the drive and the floor until you get the desired result.

I hope this helps.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(27-11-2018, 02:18 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote:
(27-11-2018, 11:22 AM)KMuzic Wrote: The vocals are driving me nuts.

They do indeed. Maybe this will help, I'm doing it more and more with these cases. One of the main problems of this vocal is its inconsistent lower-mid range. If you EQ it out, the voice gets thin and super nasal, since it's very strong on 2kHz as well, but you need that 2K. If you don't, it will drive your compressor crazy.

So, Chris released a plugin last week called "Floor". It's supposed to be used to beef up and tighten the low end, something like Waves MaxxBass. However, its range is not limited to the low end.

Using a plugin for what it is supposed to? Ain't nobody got time fo that! Big Grin

Run the voice through this plugin. Add plenty of drive, and start moving up the "floor" fader until you stop hearing that low mid muff. Now, move down the Dry/Wet fader to bring back some low end. Adjust the drive and the floor until you get the desired result.

I hope this helps.

I just posted the next version and yes the vocal sounds funky nasally to me..... Good Tip Octo, Ill head over to Chris's site and pick it up and give it a shot .. Always looking for other alternatives
Thanks Octo!!

KSmile
Whoops, seems I was late for advice Big Grin

Listening now to your latest mix. Yeah, she seems to be singing into a ham radio, but mixing that voice into the song was like a Chinese trap. Fix one thing, screw up three.
I still love the low end, but In my opinion there's a lot of beater from the kick and I don't feel this song really needs it.
You addressed the panning, and to me everything falls in place much more naturally now, however, I think there's a bit of clutter around 200-300Hz in the guitars that you could carve for the voice. That would help it sound less nasal and with more body.

I'd say just go back to this mix in a week or so, or it will drive you mad. You did a great job getting it to this point, this one is deceptively hard.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(27-11-2018, 02:55 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Whoops, seems I was late for advice Big Grin

Listening now to your latest mix. Yeah, she seems to be singing into a ham radio, but mixing that voice into the song was like a Chinese trap. Fix one thing, screw up three.
I still love the low end, but In my opinion there's a lot of beater from the kick and I don't feel this song really needs it.
You addressed the panning, and to me everything falls in place much more naturally now, however, I think there's a bit of clutter around 200-300Hz in the guitars that you could carve for the voice. That would help it sound less nasal and with more body.

I'd say just go back to this mix in a week or so, or it will drive you mad. You did a great job getting it to this point, this one is deceptively hard.

Yeah I think Ill give it a break for a while and come back to it. Like Dave said, Im starting to overthink everything now. I did pick up all the new airwindows updates and Floor works nicely on the vocals as you said. very cool
Cheers
KSmile