Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drag Me Down Final Mix
Let me know what you think. I just got my first set of studio monitors so I'm still getting used to them.

.mp3    new mix 130 final mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.62 MB)

Hey !

I think your main issue is the low end. Your mix sound very aggressive and unbalanced. It lacks a solid low end. If your monitors are new, you can reference to another pro and finished song and try to mimic how it sounds.
For the low end, you can use an EQ with a simple low pass filter set to 100 Hz on your mix and your reference song and compare. By doing this, you will only listen to the subs and adjust how much you can add to match your reference song.

Keep it up !
I thought the whole concept of a song like this was aggressiveness though. That's kinda why I approached the mix that way with the guitars and drums hitting hard. Can you elaborate a little more for me or at least just help me understand the concept of rock music a little better. Thanks for the low end tips also.
Well, you can have an aggressive sound AND a nice lushed low end at the same time. Aggressive does not necessarily mean having tons of hi end. It's more on the attitude, the riffs, the original tone that was recorded. In rock music, the low end is super important because this is what drive the song : kick and bass. This is the ground on which all the other instruments stand.

Mixing is all about balance : everything should sound right at the right moment : vocals are the most important whatever the genre is. Then think the song as a play : not all the instruments can be the star at every moment : sometimes it's a drum fill, sometimes a guitar riff etc...

Referencing works as a guideline : choose a song in a similar genre, and try to mimic what you hear : which instrument is the most in front ? How loud is the bass ? Are the vocals pretty dry or full of reverb ? And so on...