Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Care to give this a listen?
How is it? If you want me to give yours a listen let me know.

.mp3    Magician\'s Nephew.mp3 --  (Download: 6.64 MB)

Great drum sound, bass sounds good but maybe might benefit from narrowing the image a bit i.m.h.o. as, in common with the mix in general it has a slight 'hole in the middle', feel, easily sorted if you 'see' it the same way,would love to hear it if you do another version.
Best Wishes,
Mark
You had me at 6 seconds in Smile Well done.
Not sure what Markster means by 'hole in the middle' if he is referring to placement of elements, think you have it really nicely.

This is not music I would listen to on a daily, or even once yearly basis! To your credit I listened to the whole song, and as much as I hate to say, I liked!
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
I agree with Emu, this has a lot of really good energy in the top end. Makes it really listenable.

The guitar solo sounds insane, reminds me of some classic 70's tones, I'm curious how you processed it, I much prefer it to mine.

I guess one suggestion might be that on my speakers the low end of the bass pops out a bit in places. Maybe try some extra compression on the low end of the bass or EQ out some of those frequencies.

Overall great job though!
(02-01-2019, 08:13 PM)Cranky Emu Wrote: You had me at 6 seconds in Smile Well done.
Not sure what Markster means by 'hole in the middle' if he is referring to placement of elements, think you have it really nicely.

This is not music I would listen to on a daily, or even once yearly basis! To your credit I listened to the whole song, and as much as I hate to say, I liked!

Thanks man! I just logged into this site after not checking it out in a long time. I forgot about some of the mixes I have posted on here. Glad to discover some positive feedback.
(02-01-2019, 08:46 PM)Pasta Wrote: I agree with Emu, this has a lot of really good energy in the top end. Makes it really listenable.

The guitar solo sounds insane, reminds me of some classic 70's tones, I'm curious how you processed it, I much prefer it to mine.

I guess one suggestion might be that on my speakers the low end of the bass pops out a bit in places. Maybe try some extra compression on the low end of the bass or EQ out some of those frequencies.

Overall great job though!

Thanks for the great review. I can't find this session om my computer, probably deleted it. I probably used Amplitube 4 and one of the Orange amps. It also sounds like I intentionally kept it fuzzy and muffled. I have a ton of amp sims, Amplitube has an incredible selection of amps, cabs and effects.

I think there's one or two parts too crunchy, making the mix feel a little muzzy and that "hole in the middle" thing, I cannot really define it but I kinda agree.
Snare is a little bit too massive for me (maybe too much lowmids) and tambourine feels too isolated, being pretty loud and a little undercooked at the same time.

Are the OH's overdriven? It sounds cool and it's a neat way to keep the hat for taking over the mix. Good job anyway, thou it's true it could use one slight revision.