Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my take
alright, there it is.

mixed in studio one, with a handful of waves, T-racks, and presonus plugs.

slight comp on the stereo bus, then run through some T-racks again (full vintage setup 2 preset as i have neither the ears, patience, speakers, talent, or room to properly master anything.)

i'm still not entirely happy with the vocals or the kick. kind settled on a happy medium on both.

be brutal if you must.

cheers.

.mp3    01-Johnny Lokke_Promises and Lies.mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

also, if you want me to upload the unmastered, slighty worse version, i will.
Hi, Smash. At the moment, the things which stand out most for me are the snare drum and the lead vocal. They are not in proportion with the rest of the mix (i.e., they're too loud). I think to get a fairer assessment on this particular mix, these corrections would need to be made first. In your next mix, watch out for the relationship between the kick, snare and bass guitar. That should help you get the toms suitably levelled along with the cymbals after that. The guitars are pretty compressed already so they only need some EQ to get them fixed in the overall soundbalance. A couple of suggestions: Try building the mix with the lead vocal first and assemble everything around that - or, build the mix with the instrumentation first and add the vocals last. There is a big difference. Find out which way works best for you. Work out your headroom early-on. Safer to build the mix on lower levels rather than pulling down the faders later when it's (probably) too late. Hope this helps a bit.
(26-02-2013, 10:23 AM)Robert Wrote: At the moment, the things which stand out most for me are the snare drum and the lead vocal. They are not in proportion with the rest of the mix (i.e., they're too loud).

+1 there. The vocals would probably benefit from more delay/reverb, especially if you're staying within the classic metal genre.