Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Adam Buckley - Drag Me Down - Will Palmer Mix
Hey guys!

I'm new to the website so this my first mix I've done on here. For my Mixing class at MTSU our assignment was to find a song on the internet to mix and receive feedback from complete strangers. Here's my mix and i hope you enjoy it! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Will

.mp3    Adam Buckley - Drag Me Down - Will Palmer Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

Hi Will
Welcome to the forum
Sounds like you over compressed the drums and maybe a few other parts, so they sound distant and muddy.
Open your mix up and get some separation and balance between the Instruments and vocals. , Get a good balanced static mix first. Then go from there.
You've got some good stuff going on in the mix, just needs some cleaning.
Go Blue Raiders!

Cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(10-11-2018, 02:58 AM)WillPalmer Wrote: Hey guys!

I'm new to the website so this my first mix I've done on here. For my Mixing class at MTSU our assignment was to find a song on the internet to mix and receive feedback from complete strangers. Here's my mix and i hope you enjoy it! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Will

Will, I agree with KMusic. Seems like you are doing eq and compression moves just to do them. I would take off all your plug ins and try and get a good mix without over processing.These tracks are recorded great and don’t need so much work done on them. Most tracks are samples except for Vocals, Gtr,and Bass. I know the drums are SSD4 and Gtrs are recorded with toneforge. So both of those are good quality. What are you mixing on? I’m thinking that you are mixing either in a untreated room or boosted eq headphones. The biggest game changer for me was getting my mixing environment as treated as possible. No plug in outboard gear has made more of a dramatic fix on my mixes. No joke. Please don’t take this as harsh criticism just knowing how hard I struggled and wasted time on things that didn’t make a difference.
that moment when they tell you "I listened to it from my iphone speakers"
(12-11-2018, 01:53 AM)brokenstarsfl Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 02:58 AM)WillPalmer Wrote: Hey guys!

Thanks
-Will

Will, I agree with KMusic. Seems like you are doing eq and compression moves just to do them. I would take off all your plug ins and try and get a good mix without over processing.These tracks are recorded great and don’t need so much work done on them. Most tracks are samples except for Vocals, Gtr,and Bass. I know the drums are SSD4 and Gtrs are recorded with toneforge. So both of those are good quality. What are you mixing on? I’m thinking that you are mixing either in a untreated room or boosted eq headphones. The biggest game changer for me was getting my mixing environment as treated as possible. No plug in outboard gear has made more of a dramatic fix on my mixes. No joke. Please don’t take this as harsh criticism just knowing how hard I struggled and wasted time on things that didn’t make a difference.

I mix in Pro Tools 12 with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I think my main problem was not doing a static mix before processing the tracks. I'm not really doing any crazy EQ moves though. I did however make a mistake with my mix bus compression and I see that now. Also I think I used a little too much parallel compression on the drums. Once I get the time I'll do another mix. Thanks y'all!