Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Out of Bed and critique this mix :)
Nice to see some new songs up on the site Smile

Here's my first print of this song.
Mix wise kept it pretty simple. There's some light mastering going on for volume. My ilok died on me so some of my go to stuff isn't available right now Sad

Would love any criticism .

I'm not happy with that very first hit from the kick on the intro so I gotta fix that! Kick might be a bit loud overall in the mix?

.mp3    get_out_of_bed_print1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.63 MB)

.mp3    get_out_of_bed_print2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.67 MB)

.mp3    get_out_of_bed_print3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.67 MB)

Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
The ending part with all the elements going on and the vox definitely needs some automation when the vox pop in oops Smile
Niko
sounds great! the guitars sound a bit too wide ('over the speakers')? drums and bass in the verses sound very good. drums very smooth. good to hear the keyboard in a large role. nice job! ^_^
Thanks, kapu!

I uploaded a revision. Added a parallel compression track for the drums that I bring in during the bigger parts just so that they have a bit of extra oomph. Redid the limiter on the master a bit since it was killing the snare a bit when I tried to push the levels a bit higher. Added some automation and tried to bring the guitars "in" a little bit. I also aligned the lead vocals .

I'm hearing something in the guitars I need to clean up still though.
Niko
Hey Axxess

Nice Job!!
Gutars sound great, nice job on the drums. bass sounds good, maybe could use a little grit on it to support the vocals more in the quiet parts.
Solid Mix
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks for the kind words! Appreciate the tip on the bass. I'll give it a try.
Niko
Nice work - I like the fade in idea in the intro and the overall clarity in the mix.

Listening to mix 2: The bass feels a little under-done in comparison to the kick - they're not gelling as well as they could. Maybe a little less click on the kick and a little more level and presence on the bass?

I find a good approach with drum sounds is to try to match the timbre of the top end of the kick to the top end of the snare, so they counter-balance one another in that area of the frequency spectrum. Your snare sounds quite good and matches the music nicely, but the kick kind of overshadows it in the high mids.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(21-11-2018, 10:42 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Nice work - I like the fade in idea in the intro and the overall clarity in the mix.

Listening to mix 2: The bass feels a little under-done in comparison to the kick - they're not gelling as well as they could. Maybe a little less click on the kick and a little more level and presence on the bass?

I find a good approach with drum sounds is to try to match the timbre of the top end of the kick to the top end of the snare, so they counter-balance one another in that area of the frequency spectrum. Your snare sounds quite good and matches the music nicely, but the kick kind of overshadows it in the high mids.

Cool! Thanks for listening I took your notes into account Smile
I uploaded v3 with an updated bass tone and some revision to the kick. Did some more automation here and there too. I also made the fade in mono so the track explodes a little more when everything hits on the intro. added some vox fx
Niko
New mix definitely sounds better. I still think the kick drum is too clicky though. From memory, a lot of that comes from the kick/snare mic, so maybe rebalancing that a little may improve things.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks for the tip. I probably overlooked that track!
Niko