Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew: 'Get Out Of Bed' (Critiques plz)
Hey guys,

finally we have a new track to mix.
Please let know what you think of my rendition. To be honest I did have some problems with the drums, but now they are doing okay I think (maybe to much cymbal).
Overall pretty "dry" mix, except from a few effects thrown in.

2nd Version:
- More Volume and Presence on Vox DBL
- Gate on the BGVS for "tightness"
- Bit more bass
- Compressor on Guitar BUS to keep the solo under control
- improved SFX

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.53 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.53 MB)

Haven't tried this one, so I don't know what the raw drums are like, but you got them to sound great! I like OH's to be heard (but I also like to hear hihats so I must be nuts) so no problem with that. Only thing is the balance may use some compensation by making bass or guitars warmer and fatter. The AC/DCish choirs are really spot on, but maybe the singer double tracks could use some more presence and volume in order to sound more bitchy. I'm thinking of Hole's "Celebrity Skin" which is, basically, a hair metal sound though I understand that could be deemed too old a sound.

Around 1:48, it gets really big and nasty just like it should be! It takes its time but when it comes... great job!
Hey Lucas

Drums and bass sound good, nicely balanced together, I don't think the cymbals are too loud, sounds good on the monitors.
Guitars sound Good.
The background vocals sound great, but the lead vocal has a muffled tone at the end of some of the phrases, definitely in the recording, I think that's why even the bands released version has the vocal heavily processed. At 2:14 when the lead guitar comes in it gets a bit chaotic and out of balance, volume noticeably surges up. Mine does the same thing, Im thinking maybe some automation on the lead guitar might tame that.
All in all sounds great!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
New mix is up!
[quote='LukasL' pid='75172' dateline='1541069267']
New mix is up!
[/quote

Vocals sound great now and you smoothed it out nice at 2:14.
Sounds good!!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Nice mix, nice guitar tones, great voice.

Maybe the snare is a little too fat for my taste.

Good job with the solo, nice work overall.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

sounds good! maybe some more audible reverb effect for vocals in verses? overall very good job. great mixing. ^_^
Hey Kmuzic, nice to hear from you again Smile Sweet mix! I really dig it, everything is super exept for the vox, it sounds banging on the ref outro but it jumps out sort of but man naw i don't know might be 2 harsh its a good mix well done.
(08-11-2018, 09:48 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hey Kmuzic, nice to hear from you again Smile Sweet mix! I really dig it, everything is super exept for the vox, it sounds banging on the ref outro but it jumps out sort of but man naw i don't know might be 2 harsh its a good mix well done.

Hey Crownoise
Good to see you also bro .but .This is Lucast mix! Ya musta hit the wrong buttonTongue
Cheers
Hi Lukas,
Very cool mix. Really like the drums. Balance is very good. Overall very dry Smile Cheers