Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew: 'Get Out Of Bed'
(03-11-2018, 12:12 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Much more balanced now!

Now this is me being a perfectionist (with other people's work xD), but:

If you still feel like messing around with that low end, now that the kick is not poking out that much, you could try to give the kick a little more weight without making it louder. Check the polarity, maybe you don't even need to eq or compress.

Thanks Octo
I already flipped the polarity on it both ways and have it in the best sounding position. I could tune it with maxx bass to get the punch but not more volume, might work?
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Yeah, I'd aslo try Bark of Dog 2 and see how it reacts around 40-50 and 60-80 HZ, see if it helps. Looks like your kick needs a little "ooomph" down there. For bigness, not loudness.

The other thing I usually do when the kick sounds like this is checking out the overheads and summing the low end to mono. I usually grab IK's Quad Image for this, since it's a multiband widener (and shrinker), but I don't know if there's a free alternative. In this mix, I summed the low end from around 280Hz and below of the track named "09_MainMics", wich is like an overhead + room hybrid track, so it has a lot of low end info, and it's stereo. It's like night and day for the kick. Try doing this before adding more frequencies with maxx bass or BoD2, and remember to check out the polarity once again afterwards.

Oh!! I just thought about Dubcenter or Fathom5. That could work but also mess everything up big time. Maybe as a last resort, or just for fun, but beware!! Big Grin
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(03-11-2018, 12:43 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Yeah, I'd aslo try Bark of Dog 2 and see how it reacts around 40-50 and 60-80 HZ, see if it helps. Looks like your kick needs a little "ooomph" down there. For bigness, not loudness.

The other thing I usually do when the kick sounds like this is checking out the overheads and summing the low end to mono. I usually grab IK's Quad Image for this, since it's a multiband widener (and shrinker), but I don't know if there's a free alternative. In this mix, I summed the low end from around 280Hz and below of the track named "09_MainMics", wich is like an overhead + room hybrid track, so it has a lot of low end info, and it's stereo. It's like night and day for the kick. Try doing this before adding more frequencies with maxx bass or BoD2, and remember to check out the polarity once again afterwards.

Oh!! I just thought about Dubcenter or Fathom5. That could work but also mess everything up big time. Maybe as a last resort, or just for fun, but beware!! Big Grin

Good info Octo, I already threw maxxbass on it and came out with some nice results, but before I post I want to try the alternatives you mentioned
Thanks
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(03-11-2018, 12:50 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Good info Octo, I already threw maxxbass on it and came out with some nice results, but before I post I want to try the alternatives you mentioned
Thanks
K

Looking forward to that!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi Kmuzic:

I liked your mix a lot. I thinks is raw and well balanced. I just want t o focus on the drums. There are phase issues in the tracks provided. If you flip the phase in the overheads and the ambiance you will notice a change in either the kick or the snare sounds. Try some combinations with the phase switch or align the tracks waveforms and you will get a punchy full sounding drumkit. I hope it helps. Take care.
(03-11-2018, 03:56 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hi Kmuzic:

I liked your mix a lot. I thinks is raw and well balanced. I just want t o focus on the drums. There are phase issues in the tracks provided. If you flip the phase in the overheads and the ambiance you will notice a change in either the kick or the snare sounds. Try some combinations with the phase switch or align the tracks waveforms and you will get a punchy full sounding drumkit. I hope it helps. Take care.

Thanks Javier. Ill check that out when I open the project tomorrow
Thanks for commenting
Cheers
KSmile
I think i like the 2nd version most. Really cool bass tone! Balance is also nice. It's e very good mix! Cheers
(12-11-2018, 07:11 PM)Lethan Wrote: I think i like the 2nd version most. Really cool bass tone! Balance is also nice. It's e very good mix! Cheers

Thanks Lethan

I kind of lean towards that one myself.
Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Cheers
KSmile
I too feel the 2nd is the best.
Great job!
(13-11-2018, 09:30 AM)Fenekucci Wrote: I too feel the 2nd is the best.
Great job!

Hi Fenekucci,
Thanks for checking it out and commenting

Cheers
KSmile