Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew: 'Get Out Of Bed'
My Mix's
2 Versions..first version is more on the clean dry side 2nd version a bit dirtier and squashed, different vocal, bass and guitar and snare treatments.

Let me know which you prefer

Comments are always appreciated

Cheers
KSmile

Version 03a.mpg
First 2 versions I was playing with a few new to me Plugins and went too far not being familiar with them, so I went back to my old standby 1176's and R comps. I left the vocal the same but brought the bass down a bit. Re EQ'ed and compressed and re-balanced everything. Automated lead guitar and tried to keep the song level from front to back without getting to chaotic. Seems to be a lot cleaner, more of a standard punk mix.
Cheers
KSmile

Ver 04.mpg

Pulled the tambourine way down as Kapu and Octo mentioned and pulled the kick down a few db's.
Cheers

KSmile

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed-01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.4 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed-02a.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed-03a.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed-04.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I definetly like Version 2 more. The dynamics in the first one are a bit too uncontrolled for me.

2nd Version:
- Like the vocal. Sounds CLA to me Smile
- Guitars are smiling to much
- Dude that bass is to loud xD
- Drums sound raw and roomy, nice if its what you were going for.
- Nice SFX overall

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(31-10-2018, 08:40 PM)LukasL Wrote: I definetly like Version 2 more. The dynamics in the first one are a bit too uncontrolled for me.

2nd Version:
- Like the vocal. Sounds CLA to me Smile
- Guitars are smiling to much
- Dude that bass is to loud xD
- Drums sound raw and roomy, nice if its what you were going for.
- Nice SFX overall

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Hey Lucas
Thanks for checking it out, Yeah, after I cranked up version 1 on the HiFi w/ sub, I was like holy crap!! doesn't translate very well. Yes very out of control .. lol
I agree the guitars need some more work, I think one of the plugins I used on them (Acon multiply) needs to come off and just re EQ and use a straight reverb and delay

lol on the loud bass, funny thing is it sounds great on the hifi with the sub cranked .. but it would probably kill a cell phone w/ earbuds and a cheap car stereo. Ill pull it back and find a happy medium.

Cheers
KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
New Mix up
Cheers
KSmile
latest version sounds nice. would take down the tambourine. i omitted it. i think you managed to construct interesting drums sound relying a lot on the overheads/far mics. guitars, bass, vocals etc sound great. well done! ^_^
(01-11-2018, 09:13 AM)kapu Wrote: latest version sounds nice. would take down the tambourine. i omitted it. i think you managed to construct interesting drums sound relying a lot on the overheads/far mics. guitars, bass, vocals etc sound great. well done! ^_^

Thanks Kapu
The drums were a challenge, I just hit them a bit hard with the 1176 and compressed and eq'd the overheads/far mics to try to get more crack out of the snare and toms. Ill pull the tambourine down in the next mix..

Cheers
K
Just listened to v3. Kick and tambourine stand out a bit too much, but I'm loving the rest of the mix.

You're right, the voice sounds really really punk in the best of ways. Nice work, but that kick and tamb are poking out a lot for me.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(02-11-2018, 10:08 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Just listened to v3. Kick and tambourine stand out a bit too much, but I'm loving the rest of the mix.

You're right, the voice sounds really really punk in the best of ways. Nice work, but that kick and tamb are poking out a lot for me.

Hey Octo

Thanks for the comments, they are always appreciated , Ill pull the kick back and Maybe get rid of the tambourine.

Cheers
K
Final Mix 04.mpg

Pulled the Kick down as suggested and dropped out the tambourine.

Cheers
KSmile

Much more balanced now!

Now this is me being a perfectionist (with other people's work xD), but:

If you still feel like messing around with that low end, now that the kick is not poking out that much, you could try to give the kick a little more weight without making it louder. Check the polarity, maybe you don't even need to eq or compress.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.