Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me'
Hi everybody, this is the mix I've done so far.
It misses automation and a few improvements but the final version won't sound so much different. I've just used Sony MDR-7509HD and old iPhone earbuds.
What do you think about it? Any thought will be very much appreciated!
Thank you! Big Grin
~ gs

Added 2nd version
* I removed some lows on the bass shelving at 120 Hz by 6 dB.
* I equalized toms to make them stand out better.
* I panned instruments as Octopus suggested and some other panning refinement.
* I removed some high frequencies and a big area around 620 Hz from the overheads.
* I did some equalization on the acoustic guitar.
Maybe I changed other things also but I cannot remember now because I worked in a hurry Blush

.mp3    2018 10 23 Crazy For Me - Random Somebody.mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

.mp3    2018 10 23 Crazy For Me - Random Somebody (2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

I wanna hug this mix Smile

How did you get so much separation?
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(29-10-2018, 11:09 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: I wanna hug this mix Smile

Hi Octopus! Thank you very much ahahah

It depends on what you're looking for! I found that there is little separation without definition and ambience: for example make the cymbals sound very definite and polished and then use reverbs, delays and so on to create an ambience around them - it really opens up everything.

Which listening environment did you employed? Actually I feel there is way too much low frequencies on kick and bass when listening inside my car, or is it just me?
(05-11-2018, 12:05 PM)giulioscatto Wrote:
(29-10-2018, 11:09 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: I wanna hug this mix Smile

Which listening environment did you employed? Actually I feel there is way too much low frequencies on kick and bass when listening inside my car, or is it just me?

Your comment reminded me of when I listened to my very first mix in my car and it made the doors vibrate Big Grin

I was listening in my monitors. Yeah the low end of the bass is craaaaazy on some notes, way too huge. I bet you don't need 90% of the bass you're using under 120Hz to make this song groove. Let the kick win over this one.
But the main problem I have with this mix is that I'm listening everything in the same plane of depth. It's crazy because the separation, let's say, in the horizontal plane, as if you were "seeing" the band in front of you, is really good, and it makes it even more apparent!

Probably the bass eating up all the low end has something to do? For example, the toms pop out very thin, upfront and without body, just click.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Bass is never enough ahahah

Everything is on the same plane probably because I used the stock Pro Tools reverb plug-in for every send, with very open settings (like 80% medium-long plates and halls). Also, guitars are panned 60% LR while drums are 100% wide: maybe this helped too.

Thin toms are probably caused by not-so-good equalization and bass-kick predominance on the lowest frequencies.
(05-11-2018, 01:28 PM)giulioscatto Wrote: Everything is on the same plane probably because I used the stock Pro Tools reverb plug-in for every send, with very open settings (like 80% medium-long plates and halls). Also, guitars are panned 60% LR while drums are 100% wide: maybe this helped too.

Dunno, could be, but first of all I would try to move some faders see if I could do it with volume.

About the panning... I would actually go with the opposite! The sides of the drums are usually already crispy and have a lot of high frequency info, so they naturally pop out. I usually pan them 85-90% and let the guitars get the whole 100%. If I'm lucky to have doubled guitars, then maybe I'll pan 2 of them on 100% and 2 around 65% to help mono compatibility.

I've just added a second version to the first post. Smile
Hey! I had forgot about this one.

So here's the follow up, and sorry in advance for not being able to explain things clearly, in precise terms. Second version seems to have more space to breathe in the mid range. The problem is that the kick still sounds a little too low low end, and.... "bubbly"? Like "blop, blop" instead of "pow pow" ( I did say sorry in advance). The bass seems to be messing around there in the low end as well, but now you have that extra space in the lower mids so you could move part of the bass, so to speak, up there and leave more space in the lower end for the kick.
The mix still has nice tone and separation, but it gives me a feeling of hollowness and lack of excitement. This song needs some extra excitement in order to touch the audience, since the singer's interpretation is a bit too laid back and meh, and it contrasts heavily with the natural excitement that the winds bring to the table.

Summing up, I'd say the problems I see with the mix are more philosophical than technical, so probably I'm not helping a lot. When I said that I wanna hug this mix I meant it. It sounds cute and inoffensive, but in my opinion, it should be more spunky, spirited and crazy in love. It's about a guy trying to convince a girl to spend life together, after all!