Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix after 2 years trying! Let me know what you think. Thanks
(24-10-2018, 03:32 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Very ballsy and dirty mix with huge personality. The snare (samples?) did it, bro. It makes the whole mix dirty in a very exciting way. I enjoy listening to it immensely. Blew me away, in short. However, I'd enjoy it a lot more if I hear a little less of those hi-mid up to, maybe, 4K. Good lord, how our ears are so sensitive to that region! (from both gtrs, the top end of the snare, etc). It makes the mix too busy in that region to my taste, just a small bit off of it is enough bc it contributes to the dirtiness of the mix, the thing that makes your mix unique. In addition, the top end tastes better sprinkle than dumping it on, my opinion Smile. And if you let me go further, I'd say that the kick is not powerful enough. Right now it seems to me it's kicking me on the kneecaps. I'd preferred to be kicked in the face, I confess Wink (sadomasochistic much?). Your gtrs sound is pretty sick. I also like the reverb on the snare on some parts, but dislike it in some parts bc I think it gets in the way and takes away some of the power. Good job! (I listen to your mix using AKG K712 cans and Apogee Duet 2. I mix entirely ITB)

Thanks for the listen and good feedback, your ears are very good!

Normally I'd made a mastering pass of stuff I post here but this one I decided to stay transparent at the mix level. My initial thought is that 4K area as well as additional clarity in the 50-80hz (kick) area would polish in the mastering pass. For this mix, I decided to go a bit more bassy on the kick than anyone's instincts would say to do, but for this song, going purely on the "feel" of this song, the kick provides a swing groove I like. On the next pass, I will likely copy the kick to a new track and process a hard hitting punchy layer..

I ended up with not using any drum samples.. using the session originals to make it work.. reason why you're hearing all of the observations.. cleaner drums could be used through samples, but, doing that would kill all the grit at the base of this song/mix.. I like the edginess feel and sometimes the artist has a good soul in a song that would be removed if tampered with.

The verbs on the snare are light, but also placed to give a foundation to the snare hits that can silo above the middle of the mix.. to emulate what a snare hit hard in a studio room sounds like, printed within the mix.

Its a feel good song, I don't understand with the artist lyrics are, but, the raw and gritty feel to the song should compensate for the language barrier.

I also updated the original post with the parent WAV version.

The K712 are great cans.. I also start off my mix decisions with headphones, I'm most comfortable finding balances this way, I've settled on the Sennheiser HD650 for mix staging.. but then I'll do final adjustments on monitors.

I'll keep an ear out for your future song posts!
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Thanks for offering free listening service Smile. Well, some days when the kind gods smile upon me I'll get a pair of, say, Genelec 1030A (in my stonest, er, I meant to write wildest, dream) to punish my ears? But right now I just have to make do with my cans Smile. If you have any mix you want me to listen to, send them my way, if you don't mind my babbling away Smile. Thanks
hi! i think your mix sounds nice. keep up the good work! ^_^
Thanks kapu. Yours as well. I took a listen and left a comment.