Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls Under Glass - 'We Feel Alright'
gracias, Sergio! uno que es polifacético jejeje!
mixing since April 2013
(06-09-2013, 06:37 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I have never had so much fun mixing a song than this one!

I can tell! Love this! Smile

Actually, truth be told, I'm currently on a quest to review every mix posted by The_Metallurgist. You've seen some of the skirmishes between us. Frankly, after the way I saw him deliberately mock Skelpolu's amazing "Human Mistakes" and Angels in Amplifiers' "I'm Alright" ("Polishing the Turd" he called the latter mix) I decided I wanted to see if he could really put his money where his mouth is, if any of his mixes are actually any good. So far, there have been a couple good mixes but unlike most mixers here who improve with time it seems like the more mixing Metallurgist does the worse he gets. Tongue Anyway, I discovered your mix here because Metallurgist referenced it in the thread on his own mix of this song.

Having heard both, my personal opinion is that you should disregard his advice on your mix. I think your mix is the far superior effort. I don't find the bass "muddy" at all; the bass nice and phat and just drives the momentum of the track. I also absolutely adore those echo effects you added to the vocals; they were a delightful surprise. Smile In fact, the only thing I don't like about your mix, and this is more of a personal taste thing, is the guitars are way too low for me. Mind you, it seems like you were going for a kind of dance club vibe, and you succeeded. I just personally don't see this piece as a dance club piece; I see it as hard rock. That said, your "dance club" interpretation is excellent; I enjoyed it immensely. Big Grin

Y'know, you're the only engineer I've encountered so far who seems to know how to use compression in the master buss effectively. If I ever find myself being asked to "master" something in the future, knowing how much I hate to compress, I'll be seeking you out; if it must be done, you're the one I think best qualified to do it. Wink

Great work, man! Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thank you, John!! Some notes in the song reminded me of a group I used to listen to a lot in my teen years, so I tried to achieve a sound close to them.

I've heard here some other views on the song and they were very different. Of course, I see this as art and you are not supposed to judge your own artistic view on it. Some people like guitars to be more important and others prefer other instruments... it's just a matter of taste. I think that the main thing here is just to discuss the technique which is the one thing to be learned.

Hey, I'm glad you called me engineer Smile In fact, I wish I could say that I earn my living with music, but I work in a telephone company here in Spain. I do this just for fun because I always liked music and somehow it was something that was kind of undeveloped in my life that needed some attention. So that's how a year ago I started learning what all this mixing and mastering was about Smile

Again, thank you for your encouraging and kind words. You made my day Smile
mixing since April 2013
(21-04-2014, 11:45 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I'm glad you called me engineer Smile In fact, I wish I could say that I earn my living with music, but I work in a telephone company here in Spain.

I work in a call center. So I can relate. Rolleyes

(21-04-2014, 11:45 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I do this just for fun because I always liked music and somehow it was something that was kind of undeveloped in my life that needed some attention. So that's how a year ago I started learning what all this mixing and mastering was about Smile

Actually, when I came in here I was already thoroughly familiar with the principles of mixing and mastering, fresh as I was off of producing 104 shows on YouTube. However, my experience was exclusively in mixing and mastering audio for video; I discovered during my early mixes that music mixing, while still the same basic principle, is a whole other beast. Fortunately, in my experience mixing 128 projects from here I've learned a lot through experience, research and trial and error. I decided to join the forum and share my work both to learn from other mixers and to build up a portfolio of my work online in the hopes of one day getting out of the call center business and working in video and audio production, my ultimate goal being to start my own film company. Big Grin

(21-04-2014, 11:45 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Again, thank you for your encouraging and kind words. You made my day Smile

No problem! You earned those "kind words" with your talent. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
you've done alright by taking part in the forum. The easy way is just to mix the songs for yourself but.... if you don't know what your mistakes are, you will never get to learn! I remember thinking 'how good my mix is' when I started mixing. Of course, they were good in comparison with the original sound of all the tracks without any processing but they were awful when listening to other guys' mixes.

I know it is tough to hear criticism from other people especially when you've been working so hard on something, but I took it as it is: a way to learn. So if you are prepared to hear all kinds of comments to your mixes, then it is not that difficult. Some people don't say things in a nice way, but I always try to get the message and learn from what he's trying to tell me.

That's my point of view Smile

By the way, I watched some of your videos when you started posting here. I think that you can get very far if you go on with your projects, plans and dreams Smile
mixing since April 2013