Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Crazy Mix. I gave it my best shot! Plz listen and share your thoughts. Thanks
Thanks for the listen!

.mp3    randomsomebody-crazy4me-danny10-18_7.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

I like your mix Sonic, it's relaxed and fitting. Balance is good and vocal well featured. It does sound a little washed out at times though, quite noticeable in the intro. Perhaps a reverb choice somewhere? I think the mix would also benefit if the drums were more forward and centred within the stereo sound stage. A reverb thing again possibly? Something to think about anyway.Smile Well done.

Dave
Awesome Mr. Dangerous. I will take another listen to see if I can hear what you heard now that you mentioned it. I rarely used reverb for fear of the same reason (things get washed out). I still have not a grip on the beast yet, but I am still learning. Right now my main objective is to have the mix as balanced and the instruments separated as much as I can. I am still struggling with the EQ and compressor as it is. And yeah, getting the drums slamming is not an easy thing to do, as you can see, I messed it up quite adequately. I will revisit my mix to see if I can bring the drums forward as you suggested. Thanks for the listen and the kindness of helping a fellow mixer (me Smile) out. I will listen to your mix and will do the same. I wish there are more people like you so we can have a community where we can learn from one another without being a jerk! It is a hard profession to break in, and we need all the help we can. Hope you agree. Thanks
You are more than welcome. It sounds like you are going about things the right way. I guess you just got to make sure any processing you do is beneficial to the mix as a whole and to back away from it if it doesn't.
As for feedback, I try to spread it around. it's the only way the discussion zone can really work. We all have ears and a voice, so we can all contribute something regardless of our skillset. As you pointed out, we are all helping each other out, which is pretty cool. It also helps with ones own listening skills which is a bonus.
Keep plugin' away Sonic.Big Grin
Haha...sir, yes, sir... a lot of people underestimate listening skills. I think we all should learn to listen, and here is one of the best places to do so. In my book, it's a win-win situation: I get a chance to hone my listening skill, the mixer get to hear my thoughts on his mix. Good lord! it's call synergy! Smile

Btw, where is your mix? I am interested in listening to them. It doesnt matter if it's this song or not; it's irrelevant to me. Thanks.
(18-10-2018, 05:13 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Haha...sir, yes, sir... a lot of people underestimate listening skills. I think we all should learn to listen, and here is one of the best places to do so. In my book, it's a win-win situation: I get a chance to hone my listening skill, the mixer get to hear my thoughts on his mix. Good lord! it's call synergy! Smile

Btw, where is your mix? I am interested in listening to them. It doesnt matter if it's this song or not; it's irrelevant to me. Thanks.

I have a few mixes floating around the sight. You'll most likely have dig back a bit to find them. Here is my crack at this one. Cheers Sonic

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=23616
Really good mix. I came with a lot of expectation and went away satisfied. I could tell by your comment that your mix would be ass-kicking, and it was. But going away satisfied makes me a small...man Smile. I have to complain (no one gets away, right? We live dangerously, bro!). So, I have to complain about the out-of-tune vocal. If I were a judge listening to our mixes, I'd choose mine, not bc I am biased Wink, but bc I went the distance and tune the damn vocal for the sake of the listeners. That should count for something, shouldn't it? As far as the mixes themselves, I like your mix better. It's thicker, more powerful, and expresses the music movements better. I will work on that. So yeah, I take my hat for you. Great job. Know any other songs we can have a mix off with, you and me? For...fun! Smile. Thanks. I am glad I run into you, someone I can learn from. Thanks.

* I really like the snare you have. I listened to both, mine and yours. Yours sounded much tighter and fatter. Mine sounded weak and loose, washed out here. I have not a chance to revisit my mix yet, sigh, it's embarrassing facing a table emptied of foods, right? So the day job still take priority. I also noticed your snare has beautiful top end. Good job. Thanks. I learn a lot by listening and try to mimic what I liked Smile
(20-10-2018, 02:10 AM)SonicTramp Wrote: Really good mix. I came with a lot of expectation and went away satisfied. I could tell by your comment that your mix would be ass-kicking, and it was. But going away satisfied makes me a small...man Smile. I have to complain (no one gets away, right? We live dangerously, bro!). So, I have to complain about the out-of-tune vocal. If I were a judge listening to our mixes, I'd choose mine, not bc I am biased Wink, but bc I went the distance and tune the damn vocal for the sake of the listeners. That should count for something, shouldn't it? As far as the mixes themselves, I like your mix better. It's thicker, more powerful, and expresses the music movements better. I will work on that. So yeah, I take my hat for you. Great job. Know any other songs we can have a mix off with, you and me? For...fun! Smile. Thanks. I am glad I run into you, someone I can learn from. Thanks.

* I really like the snare you have. I listened to both, mine and yours. Yours sounded much tighter and fatter. Mine sounded weak and loose, washed out here. I have not a chance to revisit my mix yet, sigh, it's embarrassing facing a table emptied of foods, right? So the day job still take priority. I also noticed your snare has beautiful top end. Good job. Thanks. I learn a lot by listening and try to mimic what I liked Smile

Thanks Sonic and your welcome. Fair call on the vocal tuning though. I just don't have any fancy plugins to even try and deal with it. Maybe one day I'll buy some if I can justify the coin. Big Grin
No problem, bro. I was just saying stuffs. And yeah, I myself hesitate when buying plug ins. Most of them are just hype. All I ever used are: 1. Rcompressor (cheap but awesome to me), 2. Protools free plugin EQ7 (awesome to me), 3. Voxengo MSED M/S, 4. Protools free delay. 5. Rarely I use reverb but if I do it's the Rverb. As you can see, I have barebone minimum stuffs. I rely on my listening skills heavily. All my mixes are like that. But I strongly suggest you have a vocal tuning plug in of some kind handy just in case. That way I can't snatch the prize away from you just bc you don't have auto-tune Smile. It ain't fair for you!
Well, it's least crazy than the mix you posted previously! Big Grin

I like the instruments, not so much the voice. It stands out a little mid-rangey, small, and kinda disjointed from the rest of the band. The snare sounds a liiiitle bit boxy around 200-300Hz maybe?The snare in this tracks looks to me like it benefits from the resonance it has around 600-800 Hz and somewhere around 1-2 KHz, to make it more open, in the style of 90's pop rock.

A little note on the relationship between guitars and drums, it feels to me like they could be balanced a little better tonally. To my ears, the drums dominate the mid-lower mid frequencies while the guitars occupy the mid-high mids. Maybe they could give a little space to each other. Also, cutting the acoustic guitar peaks in the mids could leave some space for everything else as well to poke out, and you could give some low mids to that acoustic guitar.

A deceptively hard song to mix, great job though!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.