Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaf Come Around
Loved listening to everone else's take on the song. I mixed this a while back but I'll put for all to hear.

I think the vocals might be a bit to low on it but thats how I mixed it at the time.

.mp3    Leaf Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 7.55 MB)

In fact lea vocal is a little bit buried in instrumental but backing vocals are OK, acoustic guitar is maybe a bit too loud.
For me drums need more room sound, more reverb.

Mix has a good stereo image, nice balancing (excepted small details).

Ben
You've gone for a lot of bold and interestingly mix decisions here, which is always something I like to hear, and the result is a mix that does grab the listener assertively. Balance is generally pretty good too, although maybe I'd not push the percussion levels quite that far, and the HF from the acoustic guitar feels a bit overstated. The main concern I have as far as balance is that the bass takes the 'come and go' lyric a bit too literally, as it's really ducking and diving in the mix. I'm guessing that you've applied shelving boost below 100Hz in an attempt to fill out the tone, but maybe you can't hear all the effects of this on your monitoring system? A spectrum analyser may help you here.

On a general level, though, I wonder whether you're over-EQ'ing in search of subjective sounds, rather than applying EQ to clear enough space for the sounds to speak for themselves. If you're mostly boosting, then try reversing that trend and use mostly cuts instead, because I think the whole mix will likely sound smoother that way. Incidentally, I fell foul of that a bit on my Mix Rescue mix too, frankly, so it can happen to anyone! Smile

There's not a great deal of blend going on here, and I think your whole sound might benefit from some short reverbs to tie everything together, fill out the stereo image, and warm things up tonally. You might need more than one patch to tick all these boxes for all the instruments, but it's mostly short reverbs you're missing, I reckon. By all means dial up some longer patches too, but that's up to you and your own vision for the track -- it feels less of a technical consideration.

Hope some of that helps!
Thanks for your suggetions Mike,

Yeah listening to the bass now it seems so uneven, now you have pointed it out. I am monitoring with a pair of Sony Mdr 7509HD headphones and a set of hi fi speakers, so sometimes I wonder what exactly the bass is doing.

On the EQ, I do try and stick to cutting but yes I do sometimes boost a little to find a space for the instrument and make it cut through the mix.

I did have a couple of reverbs set up but I just did not apply enough to the mix, I readjusted the reverb send levels and the mix sounds much better now.Smile
The guitar in the beginning is cool. Acoustic is some what loud but good job on the highs and mids on everything else.Also liked the brige. Very creative on 2nd drm track. The bass sounded awesome.