Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angela Thomas Wade: 'Milk Cow Blues'
This has been an on and off headphone couch mix over the last 6 weeks or so. I have mixed this one before but thought this time I would have some fun and round things off a bit with eq and saturation just to try and give it a more period sound. Hopefully it translates well. Thanks for listening. Comments always welcome.

Update Mix #2 added. Nicer Vox this time hopefullyUndecided

.mp3    AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

.mp3    AngelaThomasWade_MilkCowBlues_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

Hey Dave

Listened to it in the cans and the monitors.
Instruments sound well balanced and nice tone, Very well put together.
Vocal could probably use some more work, maybe a different reverb, sounds like it has a metallic sound around 2k.

Good Job!!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(17-09-2018, 07:44 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Dave

Listened to it in the cans and the monitors.
Instruments sound well balanced and nice tone, Very well put together.
Vocal could probably use some more work, maybe a different reverb, sounds like it has a metallic sound around 2k.

Good Job!!!
Cheers
KSmile

Right you are K. I have changed my reverb and reduced the slapback. Somehow though, I feel it may be something to do with the saturation I'm applying overall to achieve my period effect. Still, hopefully I've reduced the nastiness somewhat.

Thanks mate!
Hey Dave,

I think that you went a bit overboard with compression and overall volume.
But the vocal sounds very pleasing and smooth now, despite the reverb which came "included" with the track...

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hi Dave

#2 Very nice, sounds great!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(18-09-2018, 02:37 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Dave,

I think that you went a bit overboard with compression and overall volume.
But the vocal sounds very pleasing and smooth now, despite the reverb which came "included" with the track...

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks Lukas, I think I've just overdone it with the saturation and tape emulations overall. I glad the vocal is better the second time round though.

Cheers
(18-09-2018, 02:39 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi Dave

#2 Very nice, sounds great!!

Cheers
KSmile

Thanks K, I was sweeting on the vocal a bit. I'm glad it's an improvement.

Hey Dave, nice mix. (I remember mixing this track years ago when it was on another website!) I reckon you could still improve the vocal a bit more. I can still hear the 2-3k thing Kirk was talking about. You seem to have removed it from the reverb somewhat, but the vocal still sounds a little "peaky" in that area. Maybe some multi-band would do the trick? Doesn't need much, just a touch to smooth out the nasality.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(25-09-2018, 09:31 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Dave, nice mix. (I remember mixing this track years ago when it was on another website!) I reckon you could still improve the vocal a bit more. I can still hear the 2-3k thing Kirk was talking about. You seem to have removed it from the reverb somewhat, but the vocal still sounds a little "peaky" in that area. Maybe some multi-band would do the trick? Doesn't need much, just a touch to smooth out the nasality.

Thanks Andrew,
I might try that. For what ever reason, I never think to use multi band comp for this sort of thing. I think some of the saturation type processing I've applied has compounded the problem frequencies in the vox track which isn't helping at all.

Thanks again fHumblez.