Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
South of the water - voelund
This was the kind of mix takin couple o days, first gettin used to the tracks and decidin what on earth am I goin to do with this.
I ditched the extra lead vocal, didnt find it necessary.
Moved distorted guitars 1st part so it played the rest o the song, fortunately the chords were the same, even in the middle part, and just some cuts and movin around did it.
I thinned the intro guitars and added one o them after middle part, it needed a little extra.
cut some tambourin out and made it paly in middle part with other rhythm, emphasing beat 4 o the bar, it feel good I think.
Used a telephone notch and slap echo for the male voice, the one with words.
Did a little automation, specialy on lead vocal.

Tried a "modern" mastering but I think it sounds much better just cuttin a little so thats what you hear. Turn it up !

Edit: the bass drum is from an excellent danish sample pack (free) called 6 bit deep. If anyones interested I shall look up the link

2nd edit: in 2nd verse there is a guitar playin one note. I thought it would be fun tryin Xabis technique of dubbing it without phase problems, and copied it to a spare track, stretched it and tuned it few cents, moved it back so it started just before the original guitar. And guess what ? It works ! Thank you Xabix. Great trick.

.mp3    South of the water 01c lim.mp3 --  (Download: 4.08 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I like this mix,some nice ideas.
I think that hh could come down a tad and maybe the crashes up a tad
or second thinking the snare could come down a tad and leave the crashes.
you have a very interesting mix here! I couldn't help smiling when you mentioned about a little automation on the lead voice... my automation line for the lead voice looks like a roller coaster Big Grin
mixing since April 2013
Great job with this tough one
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(03-09-2013, 04:46 PM)takka360 Wrote: I like this mix,some nice ideas.
I think that hh could come down a tad and maybe the crashes up a tad
or second thinking the snare could come down a tad and leave the crashes.

Think I will go with the last one - its easier than automatin the crashes and Im sure it will do the trick - thank you !!
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(03-09-2013, 05:52 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: you have a very interesting mix here! I couldn't help smiling when you mentioned about a little automation on the lead voice... my automation line for the lead voice looks like a roller coaster Big Grin

Thank you ! This is actually all I automated the vox volume - theres a send to a comp that fills her voice in the shout part, but apart from that ...

Thumbnail(s)

(03-09-2013, 06:04 PM)bmullen Wrote: Great job with this tough one

Glad you said so :-) thank you !