Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix and details
After a while, I'm back with this easy mix.
Notes:
- The recording quality is great. Thanks, Mike!
- I have seen some great mixes of this song already in the forum, not sure if this is going to add anything new.
- My first run with Logic X, fully ITB. I assessed the workflow (basically the same). Still waiting for PT11 since none of the core plug-ins are yet compatible with it.
- I have attached a screenshot of the mixer screen.
- As usual trying to go for natural (not boosted) feel.

Plugin used:
- several SSL channel strips (UAD)
- Verbs from UAD (Lexicon, EMT plate)
- Comps/lims from UAD (1170 in some flavours)
- Waves NLS for summing hype.
- one shot master/limit/dither with Waves L316 (quick and dirty).

Comments more than welcome.
Humbly said.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    ImAllRight - Logic UAD WAVES MASTER 02.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Hi Lammy

Interesting fx on the guitar, think the solo parts are a tad too low. (but that's just my opinion)
Too much reverb on the vocals.

Otherwise pretty sweet. Please check out my mix as well, would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Gerrit
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Interesting fx on the guitar, think the solo parts are a tad too low. (but that's just my opinion)
Uh, that's the Waves Doubler (if you mean the Ele Guitar). Should be tweaked from the default settings to avoid artificiality. Does interesting mean ugly or good? eh eh Angel

(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Too much reverb on the vocals.
Ahh, my weak point (sometimes). Well spotted, then I would rethink the approach. I feel the need of something to "fatten" the voice(s).

(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Otherwise pretty sweet. Please check out my mix as well, would really appreciate the feedback.
Very much appreciated, thanks, I will check out yours for sure.
cheers!
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Couple things that I noticed that you might tweak to improve the overall mix. Bring the snare more to the forefront and beef it up a little, right now at times its being masked by some of the other instruments. On the vocals you might tweak the reverb because it tends to make the vocals a little washy sounding. On the lead it sounds alright but when you add the harmonies the space of the room becomes too dominant in my opinion. Maybe try eqing the reverb to blend it in more or experiment with how much reverb you have sent on each track. If you are looking to fatten up the vocal, you could experiment with an eq boost in the low mid range, although you don't want too much because it could make it sound boxy. A slight chorus or delay(s) effect timed to the tempo of the track, could also help there too. I like the guitars, especially the acoustic and the lead acoustic. The lead electric guitar sounds great but I feel like it could come up during the soloes like gerritt mentioned. Hope this is helpful!

(11-09-2013, 10:19 PM)Lammy Wrote:
(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Interesting fx on the guitar, think the solo parts are a tad too low. (but that's just my opinion)
Uh, that's the Waves Doubler (if you mean the Ele Guitar). Should be tweaked from the default settings to avoid artificiality. Does interesting mean ugly or good? eh eh Angel

Yes, the Electric Guitar, and I like it. It's not in your face or like you said: "artificial". That's what I like about it.

(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Too much reverb on the vocals.
Ahh, my weak point (sometimes). Well spotted, then I would rethink the approach. I feel the need of something to "fatten" the voice(s).

Get what you're saying, I', also finding it hard to get it right.
I do like the reverb though, just a tad too much. But like I said, just my opinion.

(06-09-2013, 10:33 AM)Gerrit Wrote: Otherwise pretty sweet. Please check out my mix as well, would really appreciate the feedback.
Very much appreciated, thanks, I will check out yours for sure.
cheers!

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.