Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - 'South Of The Water'
difficult song here... mainly the lead voice. But I think I've managed to make her sound decent.

And there's also something new about this song. It's my first attempt to master! I've read a couple of books and watched some videos; and at least it sounds better than when it was just mixed. But you're the experts here and I truly trust your advice! Wink

.mp3    Actions - South Of The Water.mp3 --  (Download: 6.68 MB)

mixing since April 2013
The delay on the intro is too much,turn the delay down untill the track starts
where it dont notice.Also the bass is a bit lite for me and could do with a bit more kick
to make it a bit more solid.
When you master just try a little multiband comp then a lim just take off about 2 db
And should be good if the eq is all ok.
Hey, Takka! glad to see you around here!!

I didn't like a dry voice, so I've lowered the intro delay and it's more subtle now. I've also changed the bass a little bit and it's more powerful now... so powerful that I think it's gotten too loud. What do you think?

I'm still trying to figure out how (and mainly why) to use a multiband compressor; so I'm trying to find more information about it Smile

mixing since April 2013
Be warned: this is my opinion and Im no mastering engineer, just a musician lovin to record and mix.

putting a multibandcompressor set on some default setting on your 2 bus and a limiter takin about 2 dB is not gonna do any harm - but:

If you dont know what youre doing and why I think its a wise decision to not do it. Before you know more.

I can tell you my usual master chain, but it changes with the song and the mood of the day.

compresser takin between half and one dB, just to tighten things up.
eq, usually boost of highs with low q.
limiter.

If I add saturation I do it first link in the chain. I may substitute the compressor with a multiband, or use both.

My point is: Its usually convenient to drive in highest gear on the highway, but dependin on the traffic and load of the car it can be wise to change gear, dependin on the situation. Substitute choice of gear with mastering, situation with song.
I hope you get my idea :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thank you, Voelund! Yes, more or less is what I've done here: first saturation, then EQ, compression and limiter for higher volume.

Just like mixing, I think it is necessary to make mistakes -and to know what you're mistakes are- in order to advance. I've tried to master the song always in a subtle way. I was afraid to overcompress the song but if nobody has told me so, I guess I haven't done it.

I'm no musician and I've never been involved with music in my life. Well, when I was a teenager I had a four track mixer and I tried to make some songs. I soon gave it up because I have no talent for music but... mixing was something that I always dreamed I could learn and luckily enough, I am doing it now despite my age (46). It's never late to learn, isn't it?

Thank you once again!

mixing since April 2013
Lear n by makin mistakes - good one, if you want you can hear a song I did, Boys dream of rocknroll, that is one o the punchlines :-)

http://soundcloud.com/voelund/boys-dream...cknrol-lim

Listenin to your 2nd mix. For my taste you went a little over the top with the mastering, I would let it breathe more.
As takka said the delays drew a little too much attention on the first version, you thinned it well. The bass has the leading role in drum/bass relation, maybe you should take it down just a little or the drums a tad up. But were talkin little things here, sounds good !

attached a screenshot of you mix 2 and the song I link to. Yours is the upper one.
On the loud parts i hear a little distortion, could be your saturation, duno, if it is you intend it to sound so and its a choice.

Thumbnail(s)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
no, I didn't want any distortion at all even though I'm not good to hear it yet!

So, I've redone all the compression again. I've checked the image now and I think that the song's dynamics have improved.

The bass has gone 1db down and the kick 0.5 up.

By the way, I listened to your song... WOW!!! I love it! I'm going to listen to the other songs you have. I like your style so you got a new fan here Big Grin

Thanks for sharing!!

mixing since April 2013
Multiband is just a compessor that does multi bands with an eq built in.
I use it rather than bus comps.Voelund is doing more or less the same he is just using a compessor rather than
a multi band comp that you have more control over.
Yah you have preserved some dynamics :-) Now the drums have more room and the bas is a tad low, so I guess your mastering were killing the drums, Im sorry to keep on. But that measn kudos to the mix engineer, who made a good balance in the first place but mastering changed that ... For the background vocals it is worth lookin into timin, they dont agree with the lead vox all the time. I dont know if you have tried that yet, but it sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Thank you for you kind words about my music and Im honoured you call yourself a fan - thank you !
(01-09-2013, 08:29 PM)takka360 Wrote: Multiband is just a compessor that does multi bands with an eq built in.
I use it rather than bus comps.Voelund is doing more or less the same he is just using a compessor rather than
a multi band comp that you have more control over.

I am, and the reaspn for this is I am afraid to ruin a good mix balance with the multiband, bein such a strong toll as it is, and as I dont know enough about it to use it safely :-) My approach is to try it if I dont get what i want from the compressor, and if I like the multi better i use it :-)