Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abletones Big Band: 'Corine, Corine' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

here is my mix.

I used a lot of tape saturation + tape compression in this one. I wanted to smooth out the high-end on the brass instruments aswell as the vocal, without dulling them with EQ. I think it worked quite well.

Most of the work regarding the Brass instruments, Piano, Guitar and Vocal was achieved with EQ. I tried to give each instruments its pocket in the frequency rang, with the brass and vocals being more important than the supporting piano and electric.

Drums were easy after rotating the phase of the kick mic to achieve a fuller sound. Just a bit of EQ and very (very) light comp (2db) as the overheads were quite compressed as is.

Kick drum was compressed more agressive as it was pretty inconsistent in volume but with medium attack (10ms) to keep the transients alive.

Bass was very nicely recorded. After improving the phase relation ship of DI and Mic, I blended in the DI just a bit with the mic to get some more transient. The Bass was compressed quite heavily, but in context it worked. Again at 90Hz I made some space for the kick with EQ.

Vocals were pretty even and balanced (tracking compression/limiting) so just 6db of comp at loudest peaks and a bit of EQ work and saturation helped to smooth out the 2.5k range.

Everything was sent to a IR of a real hall reverb and the vocals also had a plate with 160ms of predelay on it, to give a denser feel.

Mastered to roughly -12dbLUFS.

Let me know what you think about the mix. Also, is it interesting to read about my though process or should I just leave it out...

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

.mp3    AbletonesBigBand_CorineCorine_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.28 MB)