Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostly Beard: 'Blue'
My Mix

Comments would be appreciated

K
Version2

Took some of the advice, Cleaned the vocals best I could and brought background vocals down, brought the panning of the guitars in to 50%. brought the toy piano in and down.
Cleaned the Bass guitar up some more and brought the drums down a hair. I think it translates a bit smoother.

Comments appreciated!!
Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    Patrick Talbot\'s \'Blue\'-01.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot\'s \'Blue\'-02a.mp3 --  (Download: 10.12 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Nice balance, Kirk. It seems the toy piano is panned pretty hard right, and the separation from the electric piano works well. The guitars are brighter than I went for, but its not a bad thing, just pointing out a difference between interpretations. Good job!
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(17-08-2018, 06:06 AM)davemcg61 Wrote: Nice balance, Kirk. It seems the toy piano is panned pretty hard right, and the separation from the electric piano works well. The guitars are brighter than I went for, but its not a bad thing, just pointing out a difference between interpretations. Good job!

Hey Dave thanks

After I posted this, I set up different monitoring to check my mix's on different playback speakers. Headphones, My Events, TV stereo speakers, a set of Logitech multi-media speakers w/ sub and an old set of KLH speakers in mono. The mix sounded Good in the K240's, OK on the Events, that's where it ended. The TV speakers, Logitech's and the KLH's really revealed a lot about the harshness in the midrange, especially the Keys and vocals and that darn toy piano .. lol .. So Ill take some notes and try to correct it in a future mix

Thanks for checking it out Dave, I just wanted to share that with you.

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey KirK! Mix sounds really full, inmersive and satisfying when all the parts are playing. At the beginning, guitar feels a little isolated from the combo, as it needed some more space. Could it be it gets louder when keyboards come in?

Toy piano is good for me, a little loud but nothing bad about it. Drums have a sweet smooth tone, they don't sound VSTish anymore!

On very little (video editing room) nearfields, voice pops out a bit, but on headphones it gels a lot better. Sibilance is not alarming, though a little taming EQ could be handy, more so if combined with some voice led ducking for the rhythm combo. Maybe a really dark compressor, so whenever voice steps up (coinciding with the more offending esses), overheads get damped a little.

Really nice ambience on this one, me likes it!

Hey Kirk,

great "vibe". I really like the way everything meshes together, the drums in particular.
But the electric guitar is a bit distracting, I would like it in the middle or at least toward the center. I feel it carries a important role in the song. I love the tone btw.

I do think the sibilance on the vocal is a problem. I think I also hear some artifacts from possible vocal tuning. Sounds like the mid-range in the vox needs a bit more work.
The keys and toy piano however are fine to my ears.

Background vocals could "blend" a little more into the arrangment. A little-less high-end or just a bit quieter?

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks Deliza and Lucas for commenting, You both have some great Ideas to improve the Mix, Ill try them in the next version and see how it goes

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate it!!

Cheers
KSmile.
Version 2 is up

Comments appreciated

Cheers
KSmile
(18-09-2018, 06:07 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Version 2 is up

Comments appreciated

Cheers
KSmile

Version 2 is a winner, Kirk. Its so much better, I might be spending much of the weekend revisiting this tune. Big Grin
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(21-09-2018, 10:55 PM)davemcg61 Wrote:
(18-09-2018, 06:07 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Version 2 is up

Comments appreciated

Cheers
KSmile

Version 2 is a winner, Kirk. Its so much better, I might be spending much of the weekend revisiting this tune. Big Grin

Thanks Dave!! yeah, go for it, Ill be looking forward to your new version
KSmile