Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juliet's Rescue: 'Heartbeats'
Mixed this a while back, figured I'd post it

Headphone mix

comments welcome

K

.mp3    Juliets rescue-heartbeats-01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.84 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
You can't tell this in headphones so it's excusable (Hey, we've all done it. It's no use denying it!) but there's too much sub in the kick. In fact, the bottom end of the verse kick in general needs a good shave. Might try bringing up a spectrum analyzer such as SPAN and looking at the low end. That might reveal what the headphones aren't telling you. The kick during the "chorus" isn't bad but has some mid range issues. It should be generally somewhat higher than the average for this type of track but shouldn't be dominant.
Old West Audio
(19-08-2018, 03:06 AM)azwayne Wrote: You can't tell this in headphones so it's excusable (Hey, we've all done it. It's no use denying it!) but there's too much sub in the kick. In fact, the bottom end of the verse kick in general needs a good shave. Might try bringing up a spectrum analyzer such as SPAN and looking at the low end. That might reveal what the headphones aren't telling you. The kick during the "chorus" isn't bad but has some mid range issues. It should be generally somewhat higher than the average for this type of track but shouldn't be dominant.

Hi Wayne
I see what your saying, If I remember correctly I put Maxxbass on both kicks and overdid the sub frequency to fatten it up. Ill cut it back and do some shaping.
Thanks
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Really nice balance, the vocals are clear and sit nicely in the mix, both in the EDM and rock sections.

I really liked the open, clean tonality, which sounds great in the EDM parts, but not so much the rock parts, which need more body and weight. The guitars are almost inaudible, but these are what makes the sound, and without them, those sections sound a bit wimpy.

The kick is sticking out too much in 1st outro, I feel, but it sounds great in 2nd outro.
Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com