Poll: How do you rate my mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Amazing!
20.00%
1 20.00%
Good
80.00%
4 80.00%
Ok
0%
0 0%
Meh
0%
0 0%
Eww!
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Still Flyin': My Mix
(21-01-2020, 12:50 AM)morgueritual Wrote: Guitars are way too low.
Vocals are drowning out the guitars and keys. Im trying to mix this now and the recording is a mess. The vocals are all out of key and the guitar solo is not lined up right with the rest of the stems. Vocals are also recorded way too low. They obviously did not compress on the way in.
Whoever recorded this should be fired.

Thanks for the critique. I did this mix quite a while ago, and I feel like I've improved a lot since then. Looking back on it now, I could agree with you that the rhythm guitars and keys could be more present.

Good luck with your mix. Obviously, the multitracks are not great/ideal, but the best mixers (imo) are the ones who can take mediocre-sounding multitracks and make something passable out of it.

Cheers,
Nick
(21-01-2020, 12:50 AM)morgueritual Wrote: The vocals are all out of key and the guitar solo is not lined up right with the rest of the stems. Vocals are also recorded way too low. They obviously did not compress on the way in.
Whoever recorded this should be fired.

Writing stuff like this is a bold call from someone with only two mixes under his belt Smile Nah, just kidding, but I would generally be easy on others' work, especially when you don't know the circumstances behind those recordings/multi-tracks. Those guys gave away their work basically for free, so people like us can use their tracks to sharpen our mixing skills. Okay, then there are songs like Titanium - Haunted Age, which deserve all the bashing Smile But the guys from The Apprehended can clearly play their instruments, show some excellent songwriting skills, and recorded everything themselves. And as far as I know, compressing vocals on the way in is not written in law Smile

Back to the music: The guy who recorded this song told me that the solo is out of place intentionally because that's what you often get when you work with local bands. Same goes for the vocals. They are not 100% in tune because they decided to offer us a challenge. Because, again, that's what you often get when working with local bands. Get used to it unless you work with CLA or other big guys daily Smile
[/quote]
Good luck with your mix. Obviously, the multitracks are not great/ideal, but the best mixers (imo) are the ones who can take mediocre-sounding multitracks and make something passable out of it.

Cheers,
Nick
[/quote]

That's how you gotta do it - good attitude!

When you're mixing something like this, you have to a) mix for the band and meet their expectations and b) stay within the boundaries of the genre (because fans of the genre also expect a particular guitar/drum/vocal sound), and I guess people here on this forum don't always get that. That's why you usually mix with reference songs and do a lot of a/b'ing unless you are a big fish in the water, and people come to you because you have a "signature" sound that they want.