Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn on me Flymix, comments??
I leave my mix Turn on me, comments and suggestions, welcome.

From Argentina

Sergio

.mp3    TurnOnMe.mp3 --  (Download: 8.16 MB)

Sometimes I think that if anyone says anything in the post mine, because I'm doing things right, or very wrong.
Hello again!

I think this mix is pretty good. Its good i like the way the energy is distributed. The hihat might be a bit boring after 2 minutes because it is a bit repetitive, but there aint much to do about it in the mixxing stage i guess.

It good mixxed for like a lounge cd or what maybe is called "elevator" music.

My thoughts though are that maybe the reverb that is used for the Jazz-Flute is a bit to long and there might even be some delay if I heard correct. I think maybe the Flute would sound better with the sortof Jazz Reverb like some room-reverb that will make u think of some balkan café with someone playing the Flute. Right now it feels more like the kindof pan-flute reverbs that make u think of someone standing ontop of a mountain playing the Flute. but thats all i have to say, im not sure if a shorter reverb would sound better unless i tried it...

// Big Grin
Sounds really good!

It has a good sense of space despite the low number of instruments, and at the same time it sounds really pure.

Good use of delays, but I'd turn down the delay on the vocals just a bit. Also, I'd compress the kick a bit more and turn it up a little.
(06-11-2013, 07:15 PM)ixnas Wrote: Sounds really good!

It has a good sense of space despite the low number of instruments, and at the same time it sounds really pure.

Good use of delays, but I'd turn down the delay on the vocals just a bit. Also, I'd compress the kick a bit more and turn it up a little.

Thank ixnas!!! welcome to the forum!!

from argentina

Sergio

great mix Smile
(07-11-2013, 02:04 PM)tato Wrote: great mix Smile

Thanks Tato!!!
yo Sergio!

i found the [intro] guitar to be panned too hard left..... many people listen with ear buds or headphones these days, so setting your mixes up for their listening comfort is always a good idea. check your stereo balance RMS image as a guide perhaps.

the cymbal ting ting tu ting ting....action is way too up-front relative to the rest of the kit....check the level against the snare, for example. it was irritating all the way through the song. high frequencies will do that sort of thing.

you need to address the vocal sibilance. it's terrible in the main vocal track, and is emphasised also in the reverb.

you having problems hearing the high end stuff?

i got the rough idea of your mix though, and liked what you were aiming for.
post up a re-work, yeah?

laters
Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Good job with the flute man... I'd personally ease up on the delay a bit, just because it's a little incongruous with the rest of the track, but that's just a taste thing. Tonally though, it sounds freakin' fantastic in a way I haven't been able to achieve. All of the harshness and boominess present in the recording seems to have been trimmed out really well.

I'm missing the kick a bit and I think the overheads are a little bright. Maybe a de-esser or some shelving cuts in the upper registers? If I remember right the derned ride cymbal is bleeding excessively in almost all of the drum mics, too, so you might want to see if you can locate the frequencies where the stick noise is happening and notch them out, or maybe judicious low-pass filtering on the offending mics? I agree with Dave on the sibilance, too... the close-micing is really exaggerating his lisp so if you do a rework, you might want to clean that stuff out before you mix the vocals so you're not killing the tone you've been working so hard to achieve.

Only other thing I'm hung up on is that the uke sounds like it has more low frequency content than the guitar, which is a little disorienting to a guitarist Tongue but it doesn't sound bad at all.

Love listening to your crystal clear mixes... I'll try and finish this one up soon (it's giving me a hard time... still learnin') for an interesting comparison on our perspectives. Great work.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
thanks Pauli.
I think I'll have to remix this song, and I think a lot of controversy ...
I'm going to make it simpler as everyone likes really will never conform to anyone, I think more than a sound engineer sound'm an artist and often do not understand my intentions sound.
That happens to be me, either very good or very bad at this.
I think something happens after almost 25 years on this, and have seen and heard throughout the transition from analog to digital.
digital work, but I think in analog, and I think there is a difference.

regards

Sergio