Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
#15 Carousel Ride - Kickin’ your can all over the place
Got stuck halfway between what’s possible with such a minimalistic recording and what I was aiming at. It won’t make sense to anyone, but I kinda imagined a blend of Feist and Blur for this one and referenced tracks by them that had nothing to do with this tune, so go figure.

After replacing the kick, I edited a copy and used it to trigger some noise, then replaced the rimshot with some claps. Btw, when I opened the zip file, I found both backing vocals tracks where the same, so I didn’t have the one that sings the harmony during the choruses, weird!

The final wheel is lovely and reminds me of Sufjan Stevens, I only wish I could have muted the little cymbal but it was bleeding on every track.

So what do you think? Thanks for any feedback!

.mp3    15 - Rubblebucket - Carousel Ride (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

Hi Deliza
Listened to it on Monitors, Headphones and TV speakers
Sounds cool. Awesome levels
Balance is a bit Right channel heavy in spots, the lower strings on the acoustic really shift the focus to the right, especially with the bone horns track during the trumpet solos.
The Trumpet alone just cant balance it out on the Left, seems to need something over there with it or maybe make a cut on the low mids on the acoustic or move it to 40 or 50% R, it sounds hard R
Vocal sounds great! Also love the we will rock youSmile You got a nice dryer sound which is easy to listen to.
Good Job!

Cheers
KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Someone caught the joke! It's good to know it translates, though it's true I never was too sure about panning that hard the guitar. Maybe I should have swapped positions between bone and trumpet.

Thanks, K!
Ha Ha.....nice Queen homage.

Very inventive approach. Everything seems to balance and is controlled nicely. certainly a fun listen. Good job.

Cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thanks, Hb!
Very cool, creative mix! I love it!
Did you reference "Country House"? The tempo kinda fits. I like the creativeness of the mix but it might be a harsh.
Yep, guitar and trombone reminded me of "Country House", but I referenced "Tender" for the atmosphere.
Nailed it. My ear isn't as terrible as people think. Ha. I need to listen again to see if I get the "Tender" vibe...
Good ears, indeed! It took me LONG to realize it was the Country House connection that attracted to this tune, easily after finishing the mix.