Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A natural approach, no toilet seat snares here
Hi, this is my take on the mix. Pretty fun mix, the tracks weren't the best though. It turned out okay I think. Let me know what you think!

.mp3    Burial Of Silence 01.08.2018.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

I like what you did with the vocals, they sit in a really good place.

Did you go full sample with the snare and kick or did you just do key replacements? Curious on your method with that. Sounds like all samples but I can't be sure. Personally, I tried to do a mix of both but I worry that I didn't do great.

What did you do for the toms? I notice there's a lot of bleed on the multitrack. Your toms seem to sit pretty low in the mix so I can't be quite sure what you did with them to deal with that.

Did you reamp the bass or just go raw? I think i hear a cool sansampy style drive that I like.

Also, if I can offer a critique, guitars seem a tad underpowered in this. I'm listening in headphones and I just lose them from time to time.
Kick is all sampled using my samples, the provided ones were too clicky for my taste. Toms are all sampled too, they are kinda low in the mix though. Snare is something like 75% real and 25% sample provided in the multitrack.

I used Toneforge - Jason Richardson for bass grit, sounds very sansampy indeed. Any amp sim could work here.

You're right guitars could come up in volume a little bit, that's just the preference, for me they eat a lot of the frequency spectrum and mask vocals and snare, I like to tuck them under these two.

Thanks for the comment!
I think vocals needs a bit of de-essing.
Also, there's an issue with the provided guitar tracks, you got to realign them (listen to the last chorus, the four guitars should play the exact same thing) guitars 1&2 are the ones that are off time.

Otherwise, sounds really nice!
Great mix.

Kick a little to clicky and not enough oomph for my tastes, but that's just me.

The guitars towards the end need realigning though. I'm not sure why the supplied tracks were like that.....just to mess with our heads I guess.

I am perplexed at the "a natural approach" description when everything was replaced lol
(01-08-2018, 07:58 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Great mix.

Kick a little to clicky and not enough oomph for my tastes, but that's just me.

The guitars towards the end need realigning though. I'm not sure why the supplied tracks were like that.....just to mess with our heads I guess.

I am perplexed at the "a natural approach" description when everything was replaced lol

Thanks for your comment!

Honestly these guitars are something else, even realigning them doesn't make sense, I'll just pass on that one.

'A natural approach' because I used samples of well recorded acoustic drums, then I processed them as I would process them without replacing. I did this not because I wanted a huge, super cool drum sound (that's why I said no toilet seat snares, some of them sound like that honestly), but because the source tracks were not that good. Snare is almost all real, too.
I was just giving you crap about the "natural thing". Big Grin

You're right about the guitars. I think I ended up realigning them in 2 spots (excluding the first half).....first to get them to end right, then an earlier spot that seemed to fall apart because of that.