Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Around
Hello All

Mixed and Mastered

Any feedback is welcome in order to improve.

.mp3    Come_Around[1].mp3 --  (Download: 5.69 MB)

Hey, pretty cool! Ways to go though on somethings - Here's my listen through (taking notes while)

Compressed guitars (kinda coolish), but mono (can only hear one of them, not both guitars - use panning)

Drums come in - strong, bright, with a smack - cool! Vocals are way too quiet. This would vibe if the vocals were like 5dB or + louder. When you have a vocal in the song, basically the fastest I've noticed I can make my mixes sound bad is to turn the vocal down too much. Too loud is much better than too quiet.

Chorus - no beef from the guitars, no width either (panned center) Background vocal on top of the lead vocal (Still too quiet)

Verse 2 - don't be afraid to pan left, especially if everythings panned right. (Maybe you were trying to make the left-leaning drums sound more cool)? Give that verse 2 background vocal some dimension - too dry, panned center.

Chorus 2 - same as 1 really

Bridge - background vocals almost all panned center. Widen those babies up, leaves room in the center for the lead vocal.

Chorus 3 - nice hard panning for the first time - sounds exciting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panning static things left and right in compliment is things and doublers and the stuff like that is GOOD for mixing. It has the benefit of making more room cleanly and with clarity -Especially the vocal. Also, it has the excellent effect of making the song sound 'BIGGER' and 'WIDER'! Also, there are these correlations between audio tracks that you can only sense when they're panned away from each other - in a way such that it sort of massages your ears. When you hit a good balance of clarity and width, you're on a great track to making a bomb sounding mix.

Psycho acoustics are huge. As a mixer, you're an artist given a bunch of dry, stale audio tracks, and it's your job to make it so a human can easily hear all the parts, and to trick our monkey brains into believing in a reality, a dimension that doesn't exist. If you have a loud dry vocal + a panned background vocal with tons of reverb, it creates TONS of dimension. You feel like you're in a friggin cave and a godess is speaking to you right in your face. Where do the drums fit in this dimension? The guitars? Does the dimension sound pleasing? That's what you have to chase - that feeling, that dimension. Create a world, see into it like an artist, and do things that either exaggerate that world that you hear or add to it. If the dimension you've made is BIG and Convincing, it makes for a super excellent effect!

Love the drums, they're cool. Get that vocal and the drums rocking together. Vocals sound sound like they're 'Closer' than the drums (if you close your eyes and imagine where they are in a virtual room)
(06-08-2018, 05:13 PM)gerudobombshell Wrote: Hey, pretty cool! Ways to go though on somethings - Here's my listen through (taking notes while)

Compressed guitars (kinda coolish), but mono (can only hear one of them, not both guitars - use panning)

Drums come in - strong, bright, with a smack - cool! Vocals are way too quiet. This would vibe if the vocals were like 5dB or + louder. When you have a vocal in the song, basically the fastest I've noticed I can make my mixes sound bad is to turn the vocal down too much. Too loud is much better than too quiet.

Chorus - no beef from the guitars, no width either (panned center) Background vocal on top of the lead vocal (Still too quiet)

Verse 2 - don't be afraid to pan left, especially if everythings panned right. (Maybe you were trying to make the left-leaning drums sound more cool)? Give that verse 2 background vocal some dimension - too dry, panned center.

Chorus 2 - same as 1 really

Bridge - background vocals almost all panned center. Widen those babies up, leaves room in the center for the lead vocal.

Chorus 3 - nice hard panning for the first time - sounds exciting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panning static things left and right in compliment is things and doublers and the stuff like that is GOOD for mixing. It has the benefit of making more room cleanly and with clarity -Especially the vocal. Also, it has the excellent effect of making the song sound 'BIGGER' and 'WIDER'! Also, there are these correlations between audio tracks that you can only sense when they're panned away from each other - in a way such that it sort of massages your ears. When you hit a good balance of clarity and width, you're on a great track to making a bomb sounding mix.

Psycho acoustics are huge. As a mixer, you're an artist given a bunch of dry, stale audio tracks, and it's your job to make it so a human can easily hear all the parts, and to trick our monkey brains into believing in a reality, a dimension that doesn't exist. If you have a loud dry vocal + a panned background vocal with tons of reverb, it creates TONS of dimension. You feel like you're in a friggin cave and a godess is speaking to you right in your face. Where do the drums fit in this dimension? The guitars? Does the dimension sound pleasing? That's what you have to chase - that feeling, that dimension. Create a world, see into it like an artist, and do things that either exaggerate that world that you hear or add to it. If the dimension you've made is BIG and Convincing, it makes for a super excellent effect!

Love the drums, they're cool. Get that vocal and the drums rocking together. Vocals sound sound like they're 'Closer' than the drums (if you close your eyes and imagine where they are in a virtual room)

Thank you so much for your great feedback.
Actually all your comments are spot on Smile
I have realized them after posting the song.
Sometimes when you are mixing your head gets stuck to what you hear in that moment and cannot come around it. That is why i need to make more breaks and let the mix sit for some days and come back to it again later to hear what needs to be changed.
Again thank you.
(06-08-2018, 05:36 PM)Alexistheo Wrote: Thank you so much for your great feedback.
Actually all your comments are spot on Smile
I have realized them after posting the song.
Sometimes when you are mixing your head gets stuck to what you hear in that moment and cannot come around it. That is why i need to make more breaks and let the mix sit for some days and come back to it again later to hear what needs to be changed.
Again thank you.

Big time - I've spent countless hours working on things soloed and then when you come back to them later they sound whack - after you thought you'd gotten them perfect! Funny how that works.

It can be really hard to resist, but lay off on the 'Solo' button on just about everything. Try to do a remix, and if you can, never hit a solo button. When I tried it, it felt like someone asked me not to blink - but the results! I got it 'there' much faster and much more accurately than my previous workflows have!

Keep it up!