Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright
Hi guys/girls

Right, so this is the fifth mix I've done.
Tried to improve on it with the help of your comments/suggestions.

Seems I've maxed out on my mixing skills with this track. LOL!

Please tell me what you think.

PS. All the comments in the thread is regarding my old mix and not this one.

Thanks
Gerrit

.mp3    Angels In Amplifiers - I\'m Alright (5th Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
Could be wrong but... it feels like you could redo the reverb(s). Maybe an eq on it to remove some boxiness from it. Are you using multiple type of rooms? I myself have recently been experementing with using only one room and using different amount of predelay to position tracks in the z plane.
Behind the reverb.. I think I like it.
It dont sound like there is much space in the mix,the acoustics and guitar sound like
they are fighting for space.I like the balance of the lead guitar but i think the acoustics
are too loud somehow.The bass also maybe a tad too much
(09-09-2013, 05:54 PM)mange Wrote: Could be wrong but... it feels like you could redo the reverb(s). Maybe an eq on it to remove some boxiness from it. Are you using multiple type of rooms? I myself have recently been experementing with using only one room and using different amount of predelay to position tracks in the z plane.
Behind the reverb.. I think I like it.

Thanks for your opinion.
Yes, I am using different reverbs. I found it difficult to place the various instruments in the "right" space.
Maybe that is the problem. I'll retry with one reverb effect.

Is there a specific instrument or reverb on an instrument or maybe the vocals that you don't like, or is it just the overall sound of the track?
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.
(09-09-2013, 08:50 PM)takka360 Wrote: It dont sound like there is much space in the mix,the acoustics and guitar sound like
they are fighting for space.I like the balance of the lead guitar but i think the acoustics
are too loud somehow.The bass also maybe a tad too much

You're right. I took another listen to it over a 2.1 system and I immediately noticed that the bass is too loud.

I'll work on the acoustics. It does seem to sound like its trying to occupy the same space as the lead guitar.
Like I mentioned to Mange. I find it difficult to place the various instruments in the right "space".

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
I think it was the reverb of the guitars that got my attention.

If you really are new to mixing chances are that you have missed the concept of aux sends and aux tracks (returns). Standard precedure is to have reverb on an aux track and use aux sends on individual tracks sending different amounts of signal to the reverb track.

I really recommend the Mixing Secrets book by the author of this site, Mike Senior. When I got it I found the best deal at the Diesel ebook store. Was about to provide a link to it but they don´t sell it anymore??! Google it, you´ll find it elsewhere.
(10-09-2013, 07:46 AM)mange Wrote: I think it was the reverb of the guitars that got my attention.

If you really are new to mixing chances are that you have missed the concept of aux sends and aux tracks (returns). Standard precedure is to have reverb on an aux track and use aux sends on individual tracks sending different amounts of signal to the reverb track.

I really recommend the Mixing Secrets book by the author of this site, Mike Senior. When I got it I found the best deal at the Diesel ebook store. Was about to provide a link to it but they don´t sell it anymore??! Google it, you´ll find it elsewhere.

Yes, I am relatively new to it. But I get what you're saying.
Basically, instead of layering the fx on the original track, I should create a bus/aux and send a copy of the track there and apply fx on the bus/aux only.
That way I have better control over the amount of fx on the track as a whole?

REALLY appreciate all the advice. I'll definitely have a look and see if I can find the book somewhere.
Set up a aux bus and put a reverb or delay on that aux bus then send the track you
want verb on to that aux bus.you can do the same type thing with compression also,
then just fade in the amount of fx you want.You only send the signal from the track
to the aux bus.
(10-09-2013, 10:34 AM)takka360 Wrote: Set up a aux bus and put a reverb or delay on that aux bus then send the track you
want verb on to that aux bus.you can do the same type thing with compression also,
then just fade in the amount of fx you want.You only send the signal from the track
to the aux bus.

Cool. Thanks for the help!
I've got some new inspiration!
just play around,you can do lots of things like use two busses with mono delays and pan on left one right etc.
Send a bus to a bus etc ,maybe send a delay to verb.
Have fun