Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Big dummy shake - Voelund
My take on this fine little song.

The drums are not easy to fit, and I were tempted to build drumtrack from scratch but decided I would use the supplied tracks and added some samples to the drummachine part to make bigger the chorus.

I moved the last guitar part to the middle section and only used it where recorded to emphasis endings.
Also muted a lot bas´n guitar in chorus.

I added delay and chorus later than I use to, and went for a short hall for the vox from my trusty old LXP1, that sounded just right for me.
balancin the backin vocals made them so sit so much better, they were recorded very diffrent levelwise.

I added a cheramic drumloop for the middle section and moved 3 parts o bas´n guitar to the intro, scratched a fourth part when mastering, that was 02a :-) So I hope you guys will share your opinion on my 02b limited mix of this fine song. It was fun to work with and Im not unhappy with the result. Yet :-)

.mp3    Big dummy shake 02b lim.mp3 --  (Download: 4.56 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Nice sounding mix, I like the interesting arrangement. The hand clap is a nice touch maybe needs a little reverb , the sound that starts at 1.50 sounds like it may need a little less bottom end to blend in more.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you Don. I will try your suggestions and appreciate your words about the mix and arrangement. As always.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I tried some of Dons suggestions, and automated a little more volume. Hope you like it.

.mp3    Big dummy shake 02c.mp3 --  (Download: 4.67 MB)

.mp3    Big dummy shake 2c lim.mp3 --  (Download: 4.58 MB)

Great mix, love how you dropped stuff during the chorus, great idea making it smaller, lifts the heavier gtr section when it comes in. Tricky getting those transitions right and think you've done it well here. Some interesting editing going on too, always good when someone takes a different approach to these mixes.
Very nice mix dude.

I would only suggest to bring up the vocals on the chorus on 1:50.

I remember makin a version with no automation and then decidin it doesnt work, nearly all vocals work better with a fader ride, automated or not. Guess I slipped that one ... Thank you !
dude like the remix
but some track or a bit to dull as far as eq goes took a listen in my wrx witch as a very hi end jbl system and the snare is missing some crack in it but all in all you really did a nice job and it shows ..
love how you took the song a-part and broke it down
very cool ..
Thank you m8 - I wonder which version did you listen to ? The final one is the lower one in post 4.
Thanks a lot (again) for noticin the edits, its so much fun to put my mark on a song and make the best of what I hear in my head.
I appreciate your suggestions regardin eq, and I rather mix to the dark than the bright side, thats just how I hear things. I guess much of it comes down to age, havin heard many and loud and bright sounds in my time and my old ears really like darker sounds Big Grin
Hi,

I really like the over-all sound of the mix. I would've kept the drops to only around the one minute mark and the end. The additional loops didn't quite sit right with me, but of course it's a taste thing.

The vocals sound great I would like the lead a little bit louder though.

Fine work of really producing the mix. Smile

Mine will be up shortly.

TC