Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burial of silence - Tuyop's mix
Hi,

Here's my mix of this song!
That was fun, even if I struggled a lot with the guitars.

Drums are all natural. (I struggled a lot with the toms and it's still not good)
Guitars are the amped ones that were provided in the multitrack. Not a fan of the fizzy tone, but I did what I could.

Any comment is appreciated! Smile

.mp3    bos master 29.mp3 --  (Download: 5.92 MB)

.mp3    bos master 33.mp3 --  (Download: 5.92 MB)

New version!
Any suggestion, anyone ? Smile
Hey there!

This is just a matter of taste, but maybe a little too much verb on the vocals. They sound more black metal than I think they should.

Sounds like some gates are going haywire in the breakdown section, but they don't really stick out anywhere else. Toms actually sound nice other than that....better than mine.

The guitar thing coming center stage at the end just seems to smear things, though. Not sure about that.

All in all, pretty decent!
I agree with the too much reverb on vocals, I'll fix it
(01-08-2018, 05:34 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Sounds like some gates are going haywire in the breakdown section, but they don't really stick out anywhere else.
Yeah, I just checked it, and it's the toms.
There 's so much bleed, that it sound a bit weird when the gates opens and all we hear is cymbals instead of toms lol Big Grin

Anyway, I just checked out your mix and the toms sound a lot better than mines!

(01-08-2018, 05:34 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: The guitar thing coming center stage at the end just seems to smear things, though. Not sure about that.
The guitars are too centered? (I'm not a native speaker of English, I don't fully undestand)

Thanks for the feedback, man!
Yeah, in the final sections it was like you brought in an extra guitar that was panned center. Started making things a little weird.

Tons of bleed always ruins gates....spitting sibilance everywhere. I tend to avoid gates when I can, but the bleed here renders gating nearly useless.
Thank for your reply
(04-08-2018, 12:34 AM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Yeah, in the final sections it was like you brought in an extra guitar that was panned center. Started making things a little weird.
I did an automation on guitars 3&4 to center them a bit during this part.
They are taking the lead, so I thought it could be a good idea, but seems like it's not Big Grin
I'll keep them on the sides!

(04-08-2018, 12:34 AM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Tons of bleed always ruins gates....spitting sibilance everywhere. I tend to avoid gates when I can, but the bleed here renders gating nearly useless.
I tend to, too.
With this song, I was trying the phase inversion thing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3mKXORiiw

It worked well with kick and snare, but not so much with toms, so I gated them.
I'll make a mix without eq and saturation on toms, I think the bleed will be less noticeable Smile
Not sure what you did, but the toms are on point now! With them fixed, I just realized that the double kick roll at around 1:12ish is missing some hits. Sounding like something Meshuggah would do Big Grin

Guitars at end sound a lot better too. Maybe a touch too hot, but that's just taste and opinion.

Thanks for that link BTW! I'm gonna mess with that and see if I can get it to work for me!
(04-08-2018, 05:51 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Not sure what you did, but the toms are on point now!

Thanks, I removed the eq and the saturation that were on toms, and added a short plate verb. Then I made some volume automation.
(04-08-2018, 05:51 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: With them fixed, I just realized that the double kick roll at around 1:12ish is missing some hits. Sounding like something Meshuggah would do Big Grin
Big Grin

(04-08-2018, 05:51 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Thanks for that link BTW! I'm gonna mess with that and see if I can get it to work for me!
Hope this will work for you!
This trick definetely changed my way of mixing acoustic drums.